7 Bedroom Old Short Hills Estate With Stunning Space and StyleShort Hills
101 Knollwood Rd, Short Hills, NJ 07078
- 101 Knollwood Rd
- Short Hills
- 1.19 Acres
- 5 Full 3 Half
SOLD! 101 Knollwood Rd, Short Hills, NJ 07078
Exclusive Listing For Sale! Call Sue Adler 973-464-9129
Exquisite, completely renovated and expanded historic Hartshorn colonial with approximately 8,500 square feet of living space, sitting on over an acre of majestic property with lush greenery views from virtually every room and original period details evident at every turn. The extensive 2005 renovation and expansion of more than 4,000 square feet was designed by respected architect John James, AIA and has only enhanced the appeal of this truly unique residence. This home seamlessly blends the charm and elegance of a historic Hartshorn home with a modern floor plan and all comforts and amenities suited to today’s lifestyle. Boasting 4 levels of living in main house, new electric/plumbing/HVAC throughout, 8 fireplaces, high ceilings, spacious wine cellar, cedar closet, walkout basement, bluestone patio, 2 level 2,000 square foot carriage house, potential in-law suite and more – this home is a true one of a kind gem!
Welcome to 101 Knollwood Road in the heart of the Short Hills Park Historic District. Originally built in 1880 and affectionately titled “The Last Resort”, this sprawling vernacular shingle style colonial is #24 of the original Harthshorn development. Sitting majestically on over an acre of property, with lush greenery views from virtually every room, original period details are evident at every turn. A 2005 extensive renovation and home expansion of more than 4,000 square feet designed by respected architect John James, AIA, has only enhanced the appeal of this truly unique residence. Total living space is ~8,500 square feet. Constructed by a builder for his own family, no detail has been overlooked. This home seamlessly blends the charm and elegance of a historic Hartshorn home with a modern floor plan and all the comforts and amenities suited to today’s lifestyle.
Upon arrival, you will enter the spacious front to back entry foyer and instantly feel the openness and inner warmth of this ageless beauty. The soaring ceilings, quarter sawn oak herringbone floors with mahogany inlay borders and intricate woodwork details will give you your first taste of what the home has to offer. Proceed through a grand archway into the formal Living Room where the beautiful wavy glass windows and large wood-burning fireplace provide an elegant backdrop for festivities celebrated with family and friends. For a more intimate setting, you can proceed to the Parlor Room where the custom designed fireplace with intricately detailed woodwork surrounding a beveled mirror provides a stylish focal point for the room. Continue on into the large formal Dining Room for a gourmet meal in front of another decorative fireplace as soothing music emanates from the built-in sound system and the large windows provide stunning views of the backyard greenery. A magnificent carved wood archway and glass paned French doors with transom above lead you into the chefs dream Kitchen where top of the line appliances are seamlessly integrated into custom Heartland Woodworks cabinetry accented by fine granite countertops and attractive subway tile backsplash. Enjoy the convenience of the built-in wine refrigerator in the adjacent Butler’s Pantry featuring granite counters, a distinctive Honey Gold Onyx tile backsplash and glass fronted mahogany cabinets ideal for displaying your favorite serving pieces. Have a seat in the Breakfast Room for a quick snack before proceeding through French doors to the expansive bluestone patio overlooking sprawling lawns and gardens. After a long day of work, settle into the comfort of the spacious Family Room where an attractive coffered ceiling and large fireplace with Vermont slate hearth set the perfect tone for cozying up with a book or watching your favorite TV show. A spacious and bright Home Office, fully outfitted Mud Room with slate floors, 2 Powder Rooms, and plenty of storage including a walk-in coat closet complete the first level living space.
When its time to retire for the night, you’ll stroll up one of 2 staircases to the second level where everyone will find his or her own personal retreat. Luxury surrounds you in the Master Suite as the flickering flames from the stately fireplace welcome you. The suite is impeccably designed with a comfortable Sitting Area, a Dressing Area with 2 enormous walk-in closets and a spa-like en suite Master Bath with His & Hers Vanities, a make-up table, a whirlpool tub with backyard views and a large marble tiled walk-in shower. 3 additional bedrooms, each with plenty of closet space and unique built-in storage along with 3 additional Full Baths and a Bonus Room just outside the Master Suite round out the second level. But there’s even more…proceed up the staircase to the third level to find 3 additional bedrooms with unique sloped ceilings (one currently used as an exercise room), a full Hall Bath, a walk-in cedar closet and walk-in access to expansive attic storage spaces.
And that’s not all… The lower level addition includes a large Recreation Room with a massive stone fireplace and marble topped dry bar and an adjacent game area that provides convenient access to the backyard through decorative mullioned French doors. Uncork your favorite vintage in the 1500 bottle capacity temperature controlled Wine Cellar and “tasting room” – any wine lovers dream. A Utility Room extensively outfitted with cabinets and utility sinks as well as a workshop and potting area, a Powder Room and plenty of closet storage round out the lower level space. In addition, the 2,000-square foot Carriage House (oversized 3-car garage with unfinished second level) has limitless options for future use. And don’t forget to take notice of the extensive display of exotic perennials, magnificent trellised rose bushes and classic English style gardens abounding throughout the property.
With its classic style, luxury modern renovations, park-like grounds and close proximity to world-class shopping, fine restaurants and a Blue Ribbon school district, 101 Knollwood Road is truly a one-of-a-kind home.
Floor by Floor details of 101 Knollwood Rd, Short Hills, NJ 07078
- Light-filled and gracious front-to-back Entry Foyer featuring quarter sawn oak floors with herringbone pattern and mahogany inlay border, original center staircase with period banister and spindles, deep crown moldings, walk-in coat closet, front and rear doors with beveled glass panes and sidelights, access to lower level stairway, and archway to Living Room and Parlor
- Living Room featuring original wood floors, wood burning fireplace with wood mantel, Black Gold Marble surround and 2 antique brass sconces, deep crown and base moldings, built-in ceiling speakers, recessed lighting and large, original windows on all four sides of the room
- Parlor with quarter sawn oak floors and mahogany inlay border, gas fireplace with carved wood mantel and built-in mirror above, Ann Saks hand-fired tile surround and slate hearth, wainscoting, deep crown moldings, built-in ceiling speakers, French doors with beveled glass panes leading to charming bluestone front patio, and large entry to Dining Room, offering front to back natural light and garden views for both rooms
- Dining Room featuring quarter sawn oak floors with mahogany inlay trim, chair rail, decorative fireplace with carved wood mantel and slate hearth, 4 windows overlooking deck and rear yard, Egg & Dart ceiling moldings, built-in ceiling speakers, original carved wood archway and transom above decorative mullioned glass-paned doors leading to Kitchen
- Magnificent cook’s Kitchen featuring quarter sawn oak floors, Heartland Woodworks custom cabinetry, top-of-the-line appliances including 48-inchViking range with 6-burners, griddle and two gas ovens, an additional Thermador electric oven in island, 2 Bosch dishwashers with cabinetry panels, SubZero refrigerator/freezer with cabinetry panels, granite counters and crackled subway tile backsplash, pantry cabinets with pullout drawers, 2 pull-out cutting boards, under cabinet lighting, built-in ceiling speakers, work desk, and 9-1/2-foot center island with granite counter, custom mahogany cabinets, and stainless steel prep sink with disposal. Butler’s Pantry leading to both the Dining Room and Family Room with mahogany cabinetry with glass fronted cabinet accents, mosaic Honey Gold Onyx backsplash, granite counter and built-in Marvel wine refrigerator. Breakfast Room with custom cabinets and display shelves with bead board accents, iron chandelier and French doors to large bluestone deck, large windows with valences facing rear and side yards. Kitchen access to Family Room and Mud Room.
- Mud Room with bluestone tile floor, bead board half-wall paneling, built-in cubbies and cabinets, wood door with beveled glass panes to driveway, window facing side yard
- Powder Room (off Kitchen) with pedestal sink, oil rubbed bronze hardware and lighting, French limestone tile floor, wainscoting
- Family Room featuring quarter sawn oak floors, coffered ceiling, large gas/wood burning fireplace with carved wood mantel, Vermont slate surround, and 2 sconces, built-in ceiling speakers, alabaster and antiques brass fixture, built-in bookcases with storage below, 4 windows with Roman shades and valences; archways to Kitchen and Breakfast Room and access to rear staircase
- Office with oak floors, deep crown moldings, cathedral ceiling, and windows on 3 sides
- Powder Room with diamond pattern Honey Gold Onyx tile floor, antique furniture style vanity with porcelain sink and brass hardware, crown moldings, 2 brass sconces and crystal and brass chandelier
- Master Bedroom featuring oak floors, deep crown moldings, built-in ceiling speakers, sitting area with windows on 2 sides with custom silk blinds, large gas/wood burning fireplace with carved wood mantel, marble surround and hearth and 2 sconces; dressing area with recessed lights leading to 2 large walk-in closets (one with island with drawers and bench) with built-in shelving, an additional closet and En Suite Master Bath with His & Hers vanities with marble tops and framed mirrors above, make-up vanity with room for seating below, whirlpool tub with basket weave detailing, walk-in marble shower with glass door, large windows with wood shades and expansive view of rear yard, marble tile floor with decorative accents, separate commode, built-in ceiling speakers.
- Bedroom #2 featuring built-in window seat with shelving and storage, carpet over hard wood floors, crown moldings, built-in desk, windows on 3 sides and large En Suite Bath with pedestal sink, soaking tub with windows above, walk-in shower with built-in corner bench, subway tile walls with decorative tile trim, ceramic tile floor, numerous built-in storage cabinets
- Bedroom # 3 featuring carpet, built-in shelves and desk, 2 closets – one with built-in shelves, 2 large windows with shades, decorative fireplace and En Suite Bath with custom vanity with wide bead board accents and framed mirror, subway tile half wall and backsplash, ceramic tile floor with blue diamond accents, shower over tub with glass doors, and window overlooking backyard
- Bedroom #4 with original pine floors, windows with wood shutters and access to adjacent Hall Bath
- Hall Bath with ceramic tile floor, bead board half wall, pedestal sink, medicine cabinet with lighting, walk-in shower with glass door, glass shelf in toilet alcove, linen/storage closet
- Laundry Room with Jerusalem Stone marble floor and counters, Maytag washer/dryer, utility sink, cabinets and cubbies, 2 hanging racks, window with wood shutters
- Sitting Room/Bonus Room with oak floors, crown moldings, decorative fireplace with wood mantel and Vermont slate hearth, windows facing front property
- Gallery Landing with carpet, linen closet, large walk-in cedar closet and access to walk-in unfinished attic storage
- Bedroom # 5 with carpet, angled ceiling and large window seat spanning full length of wall
- Hall Bath with marble tile floor and counters, vanity with storage and framed mirror above, subway tiled shower over tub and window facing rear of home
- Bedroom #6 with sloped ceiling, carpet, closet and windows facing rear yard
- Bedroom #7 (currently used as Exercise Room) with sloped ceiling, carpet, built-in bookcases, closet with shelving, track lighting and access to unfinished attic storage
- Recreation Room/Game Room featuring large gas/wood burning fireplace with full wall stone surround, sound system with speakers, large storage/toy closets, dry bar with marble top, French doors to backyard
- Powder Room with tile floor, vanity with Corian top, window facing rear yard
- Heartland Woodworks custom Wine Cellar with cooling unit, 1500 bottle capacity, stone floor, cabinet/serving area, display nook with lighting, track lighting
- Utility Room with refrigerator/freezer, potting area with storage cabinets and double sink, closet with shelves and workshop area with cabinets
- 2,000 square foot Carriage House featuring 1,000 sq. ft. 3 Car Garage with electric doors and second level unfinished space with high ceilings and utilities installed (gas, electric, cable & water)
- 2 acres of professionally landscaped property highlighted by 490 sq.ft. raised bluestone deck with built-in speakers and outdoor lighting, two tiered flat lawns, access to outdoor storage room, exotic perennial gardens, underground sprinkler system, and double width driveway featuring Belgian block circle and blue stone landing and steps to front entry
- 5 Zone forced air heat/AC (4 units)
- 75 gallon hot water heater
- Water softener
- Water Purifier
- Direct gas line to bluestone deck for barbecue
- French drains with sump pump option
- Alarm system
- Telephone/Intercom system throughout home
- Invisible Dog Fence
- Multi-zone underground sprinkler system
- Sound system serving family room, kitchen, outdoor patio, parlor, dining room, living room, master bedroom and master bath. Separate sound system serving lower level
- Storage shed
- 8 fireplaces – Living Room, Family Room, Master Bedroom and Recreation Room are wood burning: Parlor is gas; decorative fireplaces in Dining Room, second floor bedroom and second floor Sitting Room. (Optional gas connection in all fireplaces except Living Room)(
- New custom, decorative molding Marvin windows throughout most of home
- Ceiling heights of 9 to 9-1/2 feet on first and second levels
Full house renovation and substantial expansion (2005)
- – Restoration of original historic home with period details
- – 4,000-square foot addition to interior space (including new kitchen, family room and mud room on first level, master suite on second level, additional bedroom, bath and large walk-in unfinished attic room on third level, and large walk-out recreation room and powder room on lower level)
- – New 490-square exterior blue stone raised patio
- – New 2,0000-square foot garage/carriage house
- – All new electrical, plumbing, HVAC throughout home
Visit The Community
Looking for academic excellence? You have come to the right place! Millburn Township Schools are top-notch. Millburn High School is distinguished as a Blue Ribbon School and is consistently ranked as one of the top schools in the state of New Jersey, not to mention one of the top high schools in the entire country. There are 5 quality, high-ranking elementary schools serving the Short Hills/Millburn area (Glenwood, Hartshorn, Deerfield, South Mountain, and Wyoming) as well as the distinguished Millburn Middle School, which has been named a Benchmark School of Excellence based on state assessments. Millburn Township Schools not only provide top-of-the-line educational services, but they are also equipped with an extensive amount of resources and programs to provide comprehensive support and enrich the lives of both the students and their families.
Due to the ease of commuting into Manhattan from Short Hills, this area has become a popular choice for New York-based professionals. The conveniently located Short Hills Station provides access to NJ Transit’s Morris & Essex Line and Gladstone Branch Train Line, offering a speedy, no-hassle commute to New York Penn Station. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey also offers additional routes for rapid commuting into and throughout NYC.
The Short Hills area also provides easy access to major roadways such as routes 24, 280, I-78, the New Jersey Turnpike, and the Garden State Parkway, which makes commuting or traveling by car convenient and hassle-free. Short Hills Residents also enjoy the privilege of having The Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, within a 20-minute drive.