Stunning 4BD Original Hartshorn House
- 3 Full
- $4,293 / mo
- Mortgage Calculator
Welcome to 136 Hobart Avenue in the heart of Old Short Hills. Built in 1916 as #81 of the original Hartshorn Homes, this unique Tudor is listed in the National Register of Historical Places. Original period details along with recent modern upgrades make this home truly special.
Upon arrival, you will enter into the Entry Foyer to get your first glimpse of all this home has to offer. Proceed through a broad archway into the spacious Living Room where original wood beams grace the arched ceiling and light streams through the full wall of windows. Gather in front of the fireplace framed by a wooden mantel and brick surround for intimate conversation with friends or a grand holiday celebration. Continue on through a broad entry into the elegant Dining Room where you’ll enjoy an evening meal beneath a vaulted beamed ceiling and a large iron and crystal chandelier. Preparing meals is a dream in the newly updated Kitchen featuring crisp white cabinetry, stainless steel appliances and a built-in banquette that’s perfect for casual dining and snacking. After the meal, retire to the charming “Chestnut Room”, a cozy Den just off the Dining Room that’s lined with rare chestnut logs. Here you can cozy up with your favorite book or take a stroll through sliding doors to the large wooden deck outside.
When it’s time to retire for the night, four bedrooms and three full baths on the first level assure the comfort of family and friends. Three steps up from the Chestnut Room the exceptional privacy of a secluded Master Suite awaits. Original hardwood floors, an elegant fireplace and an inviting Juliet balcony overlooking the backyard all contribute to truly relaxing atmosphere. A fully remodeled en suite bath features a rich looking marble topped vanity cabinet and a glass enclosed walk-in shower with multiple showerheads. Three additional bedrooms (one with remodeled en suite bath) and a fully updated Hall Bath comprise the home’s separate bedroom wing.
And there’s more…a fully finished lower level is home to multiple settings for all your daily needs. A staircase off the Kitchen will bring you first to a well equipped Mud Room that assures a suitable place for all your coats and boots and has a conveniently located doorway to take you out the the 2-car garage. To the right, a large Recreation Room is perfect for TV watching or family game nights and has plenty of room to set up a home gym as well. Step through a doorway into a large Home Office that boasts 2 complete work stations with built-in desks, cabinets for storage and book shelves. When you’ve finished your work, continue on into the grand Great Room featuring high ceilings, plenty of light and a full wall of built-ins flanking an impressive fireplace. Watch your favorite movie on the TV mounted just above, or step through the arched doorway into an outdoor oasis. Take delight in the soothing sound of the trickling ponds that meander through lush rock gardens with colorfully blooming perennials. Guests will relish in the view as you entertain on either the raised deck or the stone patio. A fully equipped Laundry Room, Utility Room and half bath complete the lower level space.
With its classic historic details, updated modern amenities, park-like grounds and close proximity to downtown shopping, NYC transportation and a Blue Ribbon school district, 136 Hobart Avenue is a truly a unique home.
Floor by Floor Details of 136 Hobart Avenue, Short Hills
- Entry Foyer with hardwood floors, iron and glass chandelier, crown moldings, 2 windows and access to Living Room and Bedroom Wing
- Living Room with original hardwood floors, original wood beamed arched ceiling, 5 windows with curved arch above, original wood moldings, built-in glass fronted storage cabinets and full wall bookcase, fireplace alcove with wood mantel, brick surround and coat closet; broad entry to Dining Room
- Dining Room with hardwood floors, detailed moldings, iron and crystal chandelier, 2 windows, raised beamed ceiling; doorway to “Chestnut Room” (Den) and to Kitchen
- Den with hardwood floors, walls lined with rare chestnut logs, built-in display shelves, 2 windows, brass sconce; sliding doors to wood deck and backyard, doorway to Master Bedroom Suite
- Master Bedroom featuring hardwood floors, fireplace with detailed wood mantel, marble surround and brass screen, built-in ceiling speakers, 6 windows with wood shutters, double door closet, French doors to Juliet balcony overlooking backyard, en suite bath with ceramic tile floor, vanity with marble top, wood cabinets below and matching built-in mirrored medicine chest above, shower with glass door, tiled walls with decorative accents, hand held and stationary shower heads, built-in bench with marble top, recessed lighting and chandelier, built-in linen cabinet, window with wood shutters
- Kitchen with hardwood floors, custom white cabinetry with glass front panel accents, Corian countertops and tile backsplash, recessed lighting, pendant light, new stainless steel appliances including KitchenAid refrigerator/freezer, gas cooktop and electric double wall oven, Bosch dishwasher, 2 stainless steel sinks, built-in ceiling speakers, Dining Area with bead board wainscoting and built-in banquette, large picture window with shade and 5 additional windows; side door to driveway, doorway to lower level staircase, doorway to staircase leading to second level Bonus Room
- Bedroom Wing Hallway with hardwood floors, large linen closet with shelving, light fixture, pull down stairs to attic
- Bedroom #4 with hardwood floors, closet, 2 windows
- Bedroom #2 with hardwood floors, decorative fireplace with wood mantel and surround, 4 windows with wood shutters, crown molding, walk-in closet with built-in shelving, doorway to deck, en suite bath featuring marble tile floor, bead board wainscoting, built-in shelves, vanity with marble top, cabinets below and mirrored medicine cabinet above, shower over tub with marble surround and stationary and hand held shower heads, recessed lights, light fixture and 2 sconces, magnifying mirror
- Bedroom #3 with hardwood floors, walk-in closet with built-in drawers and shelves, 3 windows with shades
- Full Hall Bath with tile floor, subway tile ½ wall with decorative mosaic tile accents, vanity with granite top, cabinets below and mirror above, 2 sconces, recessed lights, window with shade, corner shower with tiled walls, stationary and hand held shower heads, 2 built-in marble corner shelves
- Bonus Room with hardwood floors, two windows, light fixture and access to attic storage
- Mud Room with storage shelving, coat hooks and shoe cubbies, carpet, light fixture; side door to driveway and interior door to Office
- Office with 2 built-in desks with cabinets below and shelving above, carpet, recessed lights, 2 windows with blinds; doorway to Great Room
- Family Room with hardwood floors, 6 windows with wood shutters, high ceilings, fireplace with wood mantel and marble surround, built-in wall unit with display shelving and storage cabinets, 55” TV with surround sound speakers and sound bar, arched door to backyard
- Laundry Room with tile floor, Whirlpool washer and dryer, utility sink, 2 windows with shades; step up to Powder Room and doorway to Utility Room
- Utility Room with supplemental refrigerator/freezer
- Recreation Room with carpet, recessed lights, 6 windows with mini-blinds, 2 large double door storage closets with shelves
- Originally built in 1916, this home is listed in National Register of Historical Places (original Hartshorn House #81)
- Professionally landscaped property with large raised wood deck with shade trellis and direct gas line, stone patio, fully irrigated, stone retaining walls border numerous perennial gardens, brick paver and stone paths leading to multiple ponds fed by electric pump, fully fenced backyard with large storage shed
- New Kitchen appliances installed including refrigerator/freezer, cooktop and double ovens (2016)
- Kitchen Cabinets updated (2016)
- New gutters installed (2016)
- 2-car detached garage with electric doors
- 2-Zone steam heat, 2-Zone Central Air Conditioning
- Main Level Bathrooms remodeled (2005)
DETAILS & FEATURES
- Built in 1916
- Updated kitchen
- Hardwood floors
- Park-like grounds
#shorthillsnj on Instagram
ABOUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD
- 3 | 1
- 2 | 2
- 2 | 1
- 2 | 1
About Short HillsVISIT NEIGHBORHOOD
Short Hills is one of the most sought-after towns in the country for a seemingly infinite number of reasons. The area boasts beautiful homes, excellent schools, abundant natural space, and easy access to Manhattan. Foodies will delight in the abundance of excellent dining options in the area, and, whether you are looking for designer labels, household goods, or farm-fresh produce, you’ll have plenty of shopping options. Short Hills also has more artists, designers, and people working in media than 90% of the communities in America, and this concentration of artists helps shape the area’s distinguished character.
Short Hills School Information
Looking for academic excellence? You have come to the right place! Millburn Township Schools are top-notch. Millburn High School is distinguished as a Blue Ribbon School and is consistently ranked as one of the top schools in the state of New Jersey, not to mention one of the top high schools in the entire country. There are 5 quality, high-ranking elementary schools serving the Short Hills/Millburn area (Glenwood, Hartshorn, Deerfield, South Mountain, and Wyoming) as well as the distinguished Millburn Middle School, which has been named a Benchmark School of Excellence based on state assessments. Millburn Township Schools not only provide top-of-the-line educational services, but they are also equipped with an extensive amount of resources and programs to provide comprehensive support and enrich the lives of both the students and their families.
Short Hills Commuting Info
Due to the ease of commuting into Manhattan from Short Hills, this area has become a popular choice for New York-based professionals. The conveniently located Short Hills Station provides access to NJ Transit’s Morris & Essex Line and Gladstone Branch Train Line, offering a speedy, no-hassle commute to New York Penn Station. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey also offers additional routes for rapid commuting into and throughout NYC.
The Short Hills area also provides easy access to major roadways such as routes 24, 280, I-78, the New Jersey Turnpike, and the Garden State Parkway, which makes commuting or traveling by car convenient and hassle-free. Short Hills Residents also enjoy the privilege of having The Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, within a 20-minute drive.
Short Hills BLOG POSTS
Celebrate Purim New Jersey Style!READ MORE
The Sue Adler Team on News 12 New Jersey – “NJ Senate passes workaround of federal tax overhaul”READ MORE
The Book House Opens in Downtown MillburnREAD MORE
- 40 Minutes to NYC