Totally Renovated and Expanded Colonial in Old Short HillsBernards
19 Hillside Ave Short Hills, NJ 07078
- 19 Hillside Ave
- 0.81 Acres
- 5 Full and 2 Half
Sold! 19 Hillside Ave Short Hills, NJ 07078
Call Sue Adler for more information 973-464-9129
Sold! Price: $2,750,000
Situated on a picturesque, tree-lined street in prestigious Old Short Hills, this immaculate move-in ready home built in 1913 by the Denman-Pettigrew family is recognized by the Millburn Historical Society as a stunning example of the integration of historical and modern architecture. With original period details evident at every turn, recent upgrades have only enhanced the elegance and charm of this truly unique residence.
Upon arrival, you’ll step through the chestnut paneled vestibule into the Entry Foyer and your first glimpse of the grand scale and excellent flow of the home. Original quarter sawn tiger oak floors, rich hued chestnut paneling and 9 ½ foot ceilings provide the backdrop for the wealth of grand living and dining spaces. Proceed through the first of many broad archways into the Formal Living Room where sunlight streams through the large windows and the impressive wood-burning fireplace takes center stage as you entertain family and friends. Two sets of French doors lead to the sun drenched Conservatory, a perfect place to relax with your favorite book, and a third set of doors opens to the gracious Family Room where a retractable screen reveals a 52’ Runco TV mounted above an impressive limestone fireplace. Gather around the fire for a night of family fun while music piped in through the built-in sound system is sure to set the mood you desire.
Continue on to the heart of the home, where the custom designed Tuscan style Kitchen boasting materials imported from Italy creates the ideal setting for chefs and diners alike. This Eat-In Kitchen featuring a huge center island, top-of-the line appliances and custom walnut cabinetry accented by travertine marble is the ideal setting for the preparation of a quick snack or a gourmet creation. Dine in the adjoining casual space with three large windows overlooking the patio and park-like backyard. For a more formal occasion, the elegant Dining Room awaits, highlighted by original quarter sawn tiger oak floors, wood paneled walls and a beautifully restored original crystal chandelier. A more elegant dining setting will be hard to find. But that’s not all…a handsome oak paneled Library/Office, a cheery Sun Room and a conveniently located Powder Room and Mud Room complete the first level living space.
When it’s time to retire at the end of the evening you’ll proceed to the stately staircase leading up to the second level where a central foyer guides you to the Master Bedroom Suite and 5 additional bedrooms (one ideally suited for a home office) – each with plenty of closet space, custom built-in desk and an en suite bath. Savor the luxury found in the Master Bedroom Suite featuring a sitting area with floor to ceiling custom-built bookcases, four large windows with views of the lush grounds and a private hallway leading to spacious “his and hers” walk-in closets and the spa-like Master Bath boasting both an the oversized walk-in steam shower and a Victorian style jetted tub. A conveniently located second floor Laundry Room is sure to please.
There’s plenty of additional space to explore via the staircase up to the cozy third level Playroom or downstairs in the expansive lower level providing plenty of space for all day and night family entertainment. Watch movies or play pool in the cozy, carpeted Recreation Room, perform your favorite exercise routines in the gym or practice hobbies in the workshop. Step out through the Mud Room to make your way beneath a canopy of mature trees to the expansive stone patio where dining beneath the stars is the perfect end to your day.
Breathtaking park-like grounds, old world character and elegance combined with modern amenities make 19 Hillside Avenue a truly special private retreat. Within walking distance from Millburn’s Blue Ribbon schools and NYC transportation from both train stations and downtown shopping and restaurants, this showplace of a home is a MUST see.
Floor by Floor Details of 19 Hillside Avenue, Short Hills
- Vestibule with chestnut paneling, tile floor and crystal light fixture
- Grand Entry Foyer featuring original quarter sawn tiger oak floors, original 3-inch thick chestnut pocket doors opening to Living Room, Dining Room and Library, chestnut paneling throughout that continues up 4 foot wide stairway to second level, original crystal chandelier, recessed lighting, accent lighting and two coat closets
- Living Room featuring beamed ceiling, quarter sawn tiger oak floors, decorative chair rail, large wood burning fireplace with wood mantle and marble surround, three sets of French doors with access to Conservatory and Family Room, two original crystal sconces and recessed lighting
- Conservatory with three walls of windows, original interior brick walls, 2 ceiling fans and 2 French door sets leading to Living Room with an additional set providing access to the front veranda and backyard, supplemental base board heat
- Formal Dining Room featuring original quarter sawn tiger oak floor, wood paneled walls with chair rail, original crystal chandelier, recessed lighting and accent lighting, large window overlooking side gardens and property
- Library/Office with oak paneling, original quarter sawn tiger oak floor, custom built-in bookshelves and molding, recessed lighting and window overlooking front veranda and lawn
- Sunroom with ceramic tile floor, crown moldings, French doors leading to Library and veranda, additional doors provide access to Dining Room and side/rear patio, original crystal chandelier, arched windows facing side yard and gardens
- Eat-In Kitchen designed by Davide De Angelis featuring custom solid walnut cabinetry with decorative glass fronted panels accented by travertine marble countertops, backsplash and farm sink all imported from Italy; high end appliances including Gaggenau Italian walnut paneled refrigerator/freezer, two Italian walnut paneled Fischer & Paykel dishwasher drawers, and the following Miele appliances: Italian walnut paneled full sized dishwasher,6-burner stainless steel cooktop, travertine and stucco built-in hood, stainless steel oven, stainless steel convection-microwave speed oven, built-in coffee/espresso/cappuccino maker, stainless steel warming drawer, stainless steel and glass steam oven; oversized travertine topped center island with under cabinet heating unit and antique pendant lighting above, recessed lighting, under-cabinet lighting, informal eating area with wall-mounted TV and 3 large windows overlooking backyard, custom built door replicating original exterior doors with side paneled windows leads to expansive outdoor stone patio with built-in Lynx grill; access to Family Room
- Family Room with access from Kitchen, Formal Living Room and main entrance hall features custom built oak cabinetry, oak paneling, 12-inch oak ceiling moldings, 3 ½ foot wide solid oak stairway to second level, 52” Runco flat screen television behind retractable piece of artwork hangs above limestone fireplace, surround sound stereo system, under-cabinet heating unit and three large original leaded glass windows with backyard views
- Guest Entertainment Bar with custom cabinetry, quarter sawn oak floor, granite countertops, beverage refrigerator, bar sink, recessed lighting and 3-inch thick pocket door with lock
- Powder Room featuring wood vanity with granite countertop, Kohler sink, Perrin and Rowe faucet, Toto commode, recessed lighting and Nutone exhaust
- Mudroom with stone floor, recessed lighting, bead board paneling and custom cabinetry complete with benches, shelves and hooks, Glass paned custom oak door provides access to Family Room, two custom-made leaded glass windows surround original oak exterior door leading to back porch entrance custom built to match original porches
- Central Foyer featuring refinished chestnut paneling, quarter sawn hardwood oak floors and large linen closet with built-in chest of drawers
- Master Suite featuring wall-to wall carpeting, crown moldings, recessed lighting, ceiling fan, built-in bookcases, four large windows, private hallway with pocket doors leading into “his and hers” custom walk-in closets with recessed lighting and Master Bath
- Master Bath with mosaic period tile flooring, custom wood double vanity with marble countertop, Perrin and Rowe polished nickel faucets, two large wood framed mirrors above vanity, Bain Ultra Victorian style spa tub with polished nickel faucet and handheld shower, large walk-in steam shower with multiple showerheads including wall shower heads, a polished nickel rain shower head, handheld shower and 2 wall shower jets and private water closet with Toto commode
- Bedroom #2 featuring wall to wall carpeting, custom built bookcase and desk, large closet with interior lighting, ceiling fan, recessed lighting, two large windows and an en suite bath highlighted by a wood vanity with porcelain sink, polished nickel faucet, shower over tub, Toto commode, mosaic tile floor, recessed lighting and Nutone exhaust
- Bedroom #3 (Second Master/Guest Suite) features large window, recessed lighting, ceiling fan and French doors to adjacent Sitting Room/Dressing Room with carpeting, 2 closets and an en suite bath highlighted by a floor to ceiling custom bowed vanity with built-in glass side cabinet doors and mirror above, mosaic tile floor, Perrin and Rowe polished nickel faucets, walk-in shower with polished nickel rain shower head, hand held shower and 2 shower jets, Victoria and Albert footed tub with polished nickel faucet and handheld shower, recessed lighting, Toto commode and Nutone exhaust
- Bedroom #4/Office with recessed lighting, carpeting, closet and large double window overlooking property
- Bedroom #5 featuring custom built floor to ceiling bookcases with desk, large closet with interior lighting, two large windows, ceiling fan, recessed lighting, carpeting and en suite bath with marble topped wooden vanity, polished nickel faucets, Toto commode, shower over tub, recessed lighting, mosaic period tile floor and Nutone exhaust
- Bedroom #6 featuring custom built floor to ceiling bookcase with desk, large window, ceiling fan, recessed lighting, wall to wall carpet, large closet and en suite bath with marble topped wooden vanity, polished nickel faucets, shower over tub, recessed lighting, mosaic period tile floor and Nutone exhaust
- Laundry Room with custom wood cabinets, extra deep Kohler laundry sink, Miele front load washer and dryer with storage drawers beneath, recessed wall ironing station with built-in electricity and recessed lighting
- Playroom/Bedroom #7 accessed via hallway staircase features carpeting and independent heating and air conditioning
- Recreation Room with recessed lighting, built-in speakers, carpeting, storage closets and three full sized window providing abundant natural light
- Half Bath with white porcelain sink above vanity, recessed lighting, chrome faucet, commode and tiled floor
- Mud Room with built-in hooks, recessed lighting, tiled floor and door leading to back yard
- Exercise Room with wall mounted TV, recessed lighting, carpeting and window
- Unfinished Rooms include laundry area with Kitchen Aid washer and dryer, utility sink, Amana refrigerator and three windows, recreation room with high ceilings, work room, storage room with shelves and a utility room
- Two car detached garage with electric doors
- 9 ½ foot ceilings on first and second level, 8 foot ceilings on lower level
- Freshly painted exterior
- New storm windows and screens on original windows; new windows are Marvin double-paned windows custom matched to originals
- Professionally landscaped property with level back and side yards, expansive Techo-Stone patio with built-in Lynx professional gas barbecue, new retaining wall, new irrigation system, invisible dog fence
- 4 Zone Air Conditioning (new units installed 2008) and 2 Zone Heat with new heating units in recent additions to complement steam heat in original structure
- Sump pump and French drains
- Tile roof maintained by owner
- Security system with central alarm
- New Lutron dimmers throughout home
- Restoration of 7 original Czechoslovakian crystal chandeliers and sconces
- Filtered water throughout home
Visit The Community
Looking for academic excellence? You have come to the right place. Millburn Township Schools are top notch. Millburn High School is consistently ranked not only #1 in the state of New Jersey, but also one of the top in the entire country. Millburn High School is a Blue Ribbon School. There are 5 elementary Schools, all consistently ranking among the top in NJ’s annual School Report Card: Glenwood, Hartshorn and Deerfield all serve the Short Hills residents, and South Mountain and Wyoming Schools are the elementary schools for Millburn residents. Millburn Middle School has been named a Benchmark School of Excellence based on the state assessments. It also has a Peer Leadership program where the 8th grade students engage in community service.
With easy access via rail, highway, bus and air, it is understandable why Short Hills is a popular choice for young professionals moving from Manhattan. A railroad station is conveniently located in the heart of Short Hills, and New York Pennsylvania Station is just a 35 to 40 minute ride on NJ Transit’s Midtown Direct Train Line.
Going to downtown Manhattan? The PATH Rapid Transit System takes commuters straight into New York’s financial district. Commuter parking lots are available to residents of Millburn/Short Hills. Parking at the Millburn and Short Hills train stations is on a first come, first served basis. Permits cost $560 per year and are issued by the Tax Collector at Millburn Town Hall, 375 Millburn Avenue, Millburn, 07041. For more information call 973-564-7083 during office hours. By car, routes 24, 280, I-78, the New Jersey Turnpike, and the Garden State Parkway are all within easy access. Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, is a 20-minute drive away.