27 Washington Valley Rd Mendham Twp, NJ 07960
- 6 full, 1 half
- $6,287 / mo
- Mortgage Calculator
Truly a one-of-a-kind Mid-Century Modern Mendham estate, this enchanting 7.1 acre property will take your breath away. The setting offers an oasis of serenity and splendor all just 30 miles west of New York City, close to Morristown, a Midtown Direct community. The Princeton firm of Richardson-Smith, trained by renowned contemporary architect, Michael Graves, made design modifications to the original Mendham ranch in 2000. More than just a 6,000+ SF home, they created a master plan that reflects innovation and impeccable design with an extreme sensitivity to nature and its surroundings.
Rightly called a “Home for all Seasons” the property captures the beauty of nature all year round. As you approach the home from one of two entrance areas, graced by the first of two gazebos, stately specimen trees, and mature foliage, you know something magnificent awaits. The park-like grounds are picture perfect in springtime. Summer entertaining is a dream with a pond, waterfall and an exterior, heated 25,000 gallon pool. In Fall, the vibrant colors of many Japanese maples set the property aflame. And the Zen-like Japanese garden-accessible from both the Gallery and Master Suite-is the perfect place to unwind and reflect during any season.
Walk through the double French door entrance and you’re immediately welcomed by a warm interior color palette. Central to the design of this open and easy flowing 5 Bedroom, 6.5 Bath house is the Great Room with vaulted ceiling, an acid stained cement floor with radiant heat, Richardson-Smith’s distinctive custom floor-to-ceiling geometric windows and an oversized wood burning fireplace with a black slate hearth. This room with contrasting blue/grey tones is warm and cozy in wintertime and offers access to the side patio and breathtaking backyard, perfect for summer gatherings. The show-stopping gourmet kitchen boasts a 6-burner Viking stove, plus griddle and grill, Sub-Zero refrigerator and Snaidero custom cabinetry. Jet black granite countertops create a striking complement to the stainless steel appliances and sleek white curves. A built-in breakfast bar is perfect for morning coffee, while the adjoining breakfast area with the Sun shining in from the southeast exposure wall of windows and the coziness of a wood-burning fireplace is ideal for casual gatherings. A formal Dining Room with a sustainably-harvested Brazilian cherry floor and another fireplace adds just the right touch of decorum for formal dinner parties and entertaining. The Library/Living Room is a contemporary combination of custom maple bookshelves, unique display wall for artwork (with recessed lighting) and large picture windows inviting you to put your feet up and relax with a good book.
There’s attention to detail and a deep respect for every feature of this house: a Gallery separating the public areas from the family wing, complete with Indian slate flooring and distinctive internal windows, is typical of the sensitivity to angle and color of Richardson-Smith designs. Here the oversized Master Suite embraces the home’s 4th wood burning fireplace. An architectural maple headboard makes a striking statement and adds a bold modern dimension to this incredible room. The generously sized closet/dressing area features custom cabinetry and shelving. The spa-like Master Bath features a honed limestone tile floor, oversized soaking tub, shower with glass mosaic tiles, Brazilian granite vanity, Dornbracht fixtures and twin Barbara Barry lozenge sinks — it’s sheer bliss in one room. Four additional bedrooms with custom shelving and built-in cabinetry in earth-toned hues provide plenty of space for a growing family.
In need of a winter getaway? No need to make reservations — the interior Bathing Pavilion adjacent to the home offers more than any five-star spa or resort. With Jacuzzi and spa-side controls, Vermont marble walls, 6-speaker built-in sound system and humidity control, your next vacation can be right at home. A lockable door separates the pool from the family wing for peace of mind for those with young children.
And it keeps on going-a fully finished basement with a Game Room and full bath provides an additional recreation area for growing kids to hang out, or for extended guests. With an Exercise Room and the indoor pool, your workout regimen is more than complete. There’s an Office, work room and lots of additional storage, plus extensive closet space. Make some popcorn and enjoy family movie night or Superbowl Sunday in the Media Room with surround sound.
Also on property is a fabulous two-story lodge style Guest Cottage, showcasing a native stone fireplace and a large wrap-around sleeping loft; this Cottage offers many options for changing or bathing after swimming, or to accommodate relatives or live-in help. Next to the Cottage is place for your pets: a spacious 3-unit dog run. Two further outbuildings store pool supplies and more. And, to protect your plants, five of the 7 acres are enclosed with 8 foot high deer fencing.
27 Washington Valley Road is much more than just a home, it’s a lifestyle statement for anyone who appreciates perfection in architectural design, the magical beauty of nature and the comforts of home life lived in great style. Here’s a chance to own a piece of heaven.
- Entry with double French doors
- Library/Living room with granite tile floors, custom maple bookshelves, large picture windows, mirrored focal walls, coat closet
- (Custom privacy screen with shelving and storage separates the library from the breakfast area)
- Breakfast area with granite tile floor, wall of windows, built-in bench, wood fireplace with black glass surround
- Kitchen with granite tile floor, custom Snaidero cabinetry, granite countertop with eased edges, peninsula with breakfast bar, stainless steel appliances including—Viking dishwasher, trash compactor, 6 burner professional grade Viking propane range with griddle and oven, double ovens, exhaust fan, Sub-Zero refrigerator–upper display cabinets with glass fronts, built-in work area with desk and shelving, pantry with custom shelving, storage closet or extra pantry.
- Great room with vaulted ceiling, acid washed cement floor (radiant heat), custom floor to ceiling geometric windows, wood fireplace with slate hearth, closet (access to side patio and rear yard)
- Dining room with Brazilian cherry hardwood floor, wood fireplace with granite hearth and mahogany mantle, recessed lights, custom windows looking out onto Japanese garden
- Hall bathroom with tile floor, vanity with double sinks, and tub shower
- Linen closet
- Bedroom with Brazilian cherry hardwood floor, two closets (attic access)
- Bedroom with Brazilian cherry hardwood floor, custom shelving and built-ins, recessed lights
- Hall bathroom with ceramic tile floor, custom tile backsplash, maple vanities with storage, walk-in steam shower
- Gallery hallway with Indian slate floor, custom floor to ceiling windows and accent lighting (access to Japanese garden)
- Bedroom with white oak floor, vaulted ceiling, custom shelving, built-in work area with desk
- Bedroom with white oak floor, vaulted ceiling, custom shelving, built-in work area with desk
- (Above two bedrooms are mirror images of each other)
- Carpeted Master bedroom with custom white oak entry door, focal wall/headboard, wall of windows, wood fireplace with slate hearth and surround, dressing area with custom maple shelving, recessed lighting (access to Japanese garden)
- Master bathroom with honed limestone tile floor, over-sized soaking tub, Brazilian granite vanity countertop, vanity with double sinks, walk-in shower with glass mosaic tile backsplash, and recessed lighting
- Laundry area with utility sink and upper cabinets
- Linen closet
- Hall bathroom with marble tile floor, steam shower with ceramic tile backsplash, vanity, recessed lighting
- Utility closet
- Indoor heated pool with spa and paver deck, wood ceiling with fans, white Vermont marble walls, solar cover, French sliding door to rear yard, stereo system, cable and phone hook-ups (Pool area is humidity and temperature controlled, heated with natural gas)
- Powder room with tile floor and vanity
- Game room with carpet, dry bar and recessed lighting
- Exercise room with carpet
- Storage room
- Double deep closet
- Media room with carpet and surround sound
- Utility room
- Cedar closet
- Work room
- Bathroom with ceramic tile floor and stall shower
- Storage/Utility room
- 4 car (tandem) attached garage with shelving
- Main level with hardwood floors, oak paneled walls, wood fireplace with stone surround, dry bar, kitchen and full bathroom with tile floor, stall shower and linen closet
- Second level loft with carpet, wood paneled walls, ceiling fan and large cedar closet
- Outside, paver patio with built-in bbq and storage shed
Additional features and updates
- Indoor and outdoor heated pool
- Cottage guest house
- New Roof
- Remodeled gallery hallway, two bedrooms, and Master bedroom (2001)
- Great room addition (2000)
- New gas furnaces in Master wing
- 3 zone central air conditioning
- 5 zone heating
- 4 wood burning fireplaces
- Blown-in insulation (with top-rated R levels) 2012
- Central vacuum
- Security system with motion sensors and smoke alarms
- 2 Gazebo’s
- Landscape lighting
- Specimen trees
- Storage Shed
- 4 car attached garage
- Two wells (New well motor serving Guest Cottage and exterior pool)
- Bedrooms: 5
- Bathrooms: 6.5
- Acres: 7.1 total acres, 5 acres fenced
#mendhamnj on Instagram
ABOUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD
EMAIL PROPERTY ALERTS
Sign up and receive email alerts when new listings come on the market.
Sorry, no similar listings available at this time.
About MendhamVISIT NEIGHBORHOOD
Mendham Township is a picturesque, tranquil suburb, where winding roads, large estates, and historic landmarks create its trademark classical charm. Located in the southern part of Morris County, Mendham is in close proximity to Morristown, NJ and within a reasonable commuting distance to NYC, allowing for all of the conveniences and excitement of city living while preserving the ability to reside in a quiet and residential atmosphere. The area is known for its phenomenal schools, historical architecture, top-notch public facilities, and endless enjoyable recreation and entertainment activities, as well as gorgeous properties. Mendham is a truly special town, and locals love the intimate setting and peaceful living that the area provides. [optima_express_toppicks id="236529" sortBy="pd" displayType="grid" resultsPerPage="6" header="false" includeMap="false"]
Mendham School Information
The Mendham County Public Schools are highly-rated institutions complete with a dedicated staff and a full range of services aimed toward student achievement. The district includes the Mendham Township Elementary School, The Mendham Township Middle School and The West Morris Mendham High School. All of these schools are known for academic excellence, and The West Morris Mendham High School even offers one of the few International Baccalaureate programs in the state. Mendham Schools and their set of high-quality educators receive frequent awards and acknowledgements for their innovative educational and commitment to student success. The carefully designed curriculum focuses on the use of technology alongside challenging academic programs and extracurricular programs in order to prepare students for their futures.
Mendham Commuting Info
Mendham is conveniently located near the Morristown Train Station which offers direct routes to NYC, and its proximity to Routes 78, 80 and 287 makes commuting by car a breeze. For a more scenic route, residents can take a quick drive to Jersey City and hop on the Ferry. The Morristown Airport and The Newark Liberty Airport also provide quick transnational access from the Mendham area for the business traveler.
Mendham BLOG POSTS
The Sweet Smell of SpringREAD MORE
The Sue Adler Team on News 12 New Jersey – “NJ Senate passes workaround of federal tax overhaul”READ MORE
Why This Is The Market For The Move Up BuyerREAD MORE
- 51 Minutes to NYC (Madison)