Timeless English Estate renovated to perfection situated on over one acre in Old Short Hills
- 6 full, 2 half
- $7,847 / mo
- Mortgage Calculator
This magnificent 1904 English estate centrally situated on over 1 1/3 acres in Old Short Hills was lovingly and seamlessly renovated in 2005-2007 by the architectural firm, The Rosen Group. The home now benefits from a modernized floor plan for the 21st century family while maintaining its original character, charm and rich history. The regal property’s door still bears the name “Linfield”. Beautiful formal English gardens landscape design dates back from the original home and is registered with the Smithsonian. The open floor plan, elegant dark bottom gunite pool and spa complete this one-of-a-kind dream home.
Upon entering through the Mudroom/Foyer with Italian travertine tile flooring and six built-in floor-to-ceiling cubbies, and bench one is drawn in by the warmth, elegance and splendor of the home. The fabulous large open, gourmet eat-in kitchen with the adjacent family room immediately welcomes you and is the true heart of this home. This spectacular bright kitchen features: wide planked, reclaimed chestnut wood floors, two large islands, travertine countertops and 4 inch butcher block, top of the line appliances including 60 inch Wolfe Gas Range, complete with a French cook top and grille, full size refrigerator and freezer, and custom antique leaded glass cupboards and cabinets by Bischoff cabinetry. French doors lead out to the patio with stunning views of the pool and garden with plantings providing privacy from neighboring homes.
The kitchen opens to an amazing Family Room with antique reclaimed hewn beams that frame the vaulted ceiling and a gas starting wood burning stone fireplace. The warmth from the floors the distinct color palette, floor to ceiling hand cut stone fireplace, 7 large windows with built-in book shelves diving the room from the kitchen makes this room radiate with cozy elegance. Another set of French doors also leads to the patio and pool to complete this home’s perfect four season entertaining flow. Established towering trees provide privacy for outdoor parties and gatherings.
Leading off from the kitchen, custom built-in antique glass fronted cabinets and a desk have been designed to double as homework stations or as a butlers pantry. The elegant banquet-sized Dining Room boasts original hardwood flooring and windows that frame the views of the formal gardens providing an intimate entertaining space for formal holiday dinners or gatherings with family and friends. Original antique pocket glass doors lead to the foyer and are matched by a pair that leads to the formal living room. The Living Room features original hardwood flooring, another gas burning fireplace, original windows overlooking the patio, and original French doors that lead to the Study. The cozy study/library emanates warmth from its’ southern exposure, the limestone radiant tile floor, gas fireplace with honed black marble, and handsome custom mahogany built-in shelves and desk making for the perfect home office or idyllic setting for the studious school child. The glass door conveniently leads to the outdoor fireplace. Also leading from the foyer is the Sunroom with its large original windows and double French doors opening to the bluestone patio and original formal English gardens. Enjoy a picturesque snowfall curled up with a book or open the doors on a beautiful spring or summer day. Two powder rooms complete this first level.
The flawless fluency of the first floor transmits to the second level by way of two stately staircases Unlimited charm and allure transpire from room to room, including four completely renovated baths showcasing the highest quality in design and fixtures. The Master Suite has an entry foyer, a decorative fireplace and French doors to a balcony creating a romantic and graceful setting. The Master Bath is luxurious–rejuvenate in the soaking tub while watching a favorite program on the mirrored television or steam in the steam shower, then step out onto the warmth of the radiant honed marble tile floor. Guests will embrace a few nights snug in a guest bedroom with a decorative fireplace and perfectly appointed en-suite bathroom. Four additional bedrooms with built-ins desks, shelves, storage and, custom closets, benefit from unique charm and features; one has a two story loft area, two share has a secret passageway between closets and one has a trap ceiling door, to add fun and whimsy for the children and teens. The six bedrooms on the second level floor are truly a unique attribute of the home offering the rare opportunity for a large family to share sleeping quarters all on one floor.
The distinctiveness of this home continues to a Third Level that separates into two wings. The Left Wing is designed with a Loft continuing for the open second floor’s fourth bedroom. In addition a two room playroom with built-in shelving for books and toys provides a cozy escape for children and teen. The floor also offers storage attic space. The Right Wing encompasses two additional bedrooms and a full bath with an original claw-foot tub with shower.
The Lower Level provides all day and night family entertainment and fun. Get in a workout on a stationary bike or treadmill or have a game of pool while relishing in a movie on the 110-inch retractable movie screen. The 10-foot ceiling Recreation Room complete with laminate wood and stone tile floor with stairs that lead up to the pool and windows make this basement feel magical. Your budding musician can bang away on that drum set or strum their guitar in the Music Room with sound absorbing walls and materials. And for the more artistic members in the family, enjoy endless hours of creativity in the carpeted Crafts Room. A full bath, plenty of storage space and a walk-in storage/wine room complete the Lower Level.
This home is a testament of timeless beauty renovated with sheer perfection. With breathtaking grounds, it’s a private retreat in the midst of world class amenities and Blue Ribbon Schools, a property nothing short of perfection.
Floor by Floor Details of 36 Hemlock Rd Short Hills, NJ 07078
- Mudroom entry has Italian travertine tile, built-in bench and 6 built-in floor-to-ceiling cubbies
- Powder room has basket weave pattern tile floor, waterworks commode, and custom console by Bischoff Cabinetry
- Family room with reclaimed wide plank chestnut wood floors, vaulted ceiling with antique reclaimed hewn beams, gas starting wood burning floor to ceiling stone fireplace, double French doors out to patio pool and spa (open to kitchen)
- Magnificent gourmet kitchen with two oversized islands-Italian travertine countertop and island top with built in 4-in butcher block, Bishoff Cabinetry throughout provides beautiful storage, including antique leaded glass fronted upper cabinets, 2 sinks – 1 farm sink with barber Wilson gooseneck faucet, 1 oversized stainless steel sink, 2 Miele dishwashers, 60 inch wolf gas range with French cook top, grill and 4 burners, warming drawer, side by side Monogram refrigerator and freezer, beverage refrigerator and high capacity clean ice maker. Two double French doors to patio, pool and spa, large pantry, and pull outs over stove to storage and convenience for cooking
- Dining room with original hardwood floor, gas fireplace, pocket doors with views to formal garden
- Living room with chestnut hardwood floor, wood fireplace and original pocket doors to foyer
- Study with limestone radiant tile floor, gas fireplace, mahogany built-ins, trim crown molding, custom Pella windows, banquet seating, French door to bluestone patio
- Sunroom with original hardwood floor, crown molding and original windows and double French doors to bluestone patio and garden
- Foyer, original hardwood floors, original 2-inch thick glass pocket doors
- Powder Room, with corner sink, chestnut wide plank reclaimed hardwood floor
- Attached oversized 2 car garage with oversized sink and heater
- Master Bedroom suite with entry foyer, hardwood floor, decorative fireplace, crown molding, French doors out to balcony
- Master Bathroom with radiant honed marble floor, Bishoff cabinetry, mirrored television, steam shower, soaking tub, double vanity custom made by Bischoff Cabinetry, 2 custom mahogany walk-in closets, toto commode windows overlooking formal English garden
- Bedroom 2 with hardwood floor, decorative fireplace, crown molding, en-suite bathroom with waterworks basket weave pattern tile floor, waterworks tiles, stall shower with rain head, waterworks console and faucet, waterworks commode
- Laundry room with tile floor, crown molding, 2 front loading high efficiency washer and dryers, sink , shelves and cabinets
- Bedroom 3 with hardwood floor, crown molding, built-in shelving unit and walk-in custom closet, en-suite (Jack and Jill) bath with tile floor, Bishoff vanity with double sinks and shower over tub, waterworks commode
- Bedroom 4 with hardwood floor, vaulted ceiling with loft, built in shelf and desk, 2 closets
- Bathroom with waterworks mosaic tile floor, stall shower, Bishoff built-in cabinetry, waterworks oversized sink and faucet
- Bedroom 5 with hardwood floor, built-in bed with under bed storage, shelves and custom walk-in closet
- Bedroom 6 with hardwood floor, crown molding, built-in desk, storage and shelves, custom walk-in closet
Third Level (Left wing)
- Playroom with built-in shelving units
- Attic storage space
Third Level (Right wing)
- Bedroom 7 with hardwood floor and built-in drawers
- Bedroom 8 with hardwood floor and closet
- Bathroom with tile floor and original claw foot tub with shower
- Recreation room with laminate wood and stone tile floor, 10 ft. ceiling, 110 inch movie screen and projector
- Bathroom with stone tile floor and stall shower
- Crafts room with carpet
- Music room with sound absorbing walls and materials
- Walk-in closet/wine storage with 210 amp outlet
- Storage room/utility rooms /Mechanical room (3)
Additional Features and Updates
- Linfield house originally built in 1904
- Renovated 2005-2007
- Architect: The Rosen Group
- Builder: Barnes Construction
- Outdoor fireplace
- Gas line with BBQ
- Bluestone patio
- In-ground dark bottom guinite pool and spa with stamped concrete patio (renovated 2006).
- Pool shed (stores pool plumbing and filtration), wired for iaqua link mobile pool controller, 2 changing rooms
- New bathrooms (6 full 2.5)
- New electrical
- New plumbing
- Oversized Two-car attached heated garage with potting sink (zone for 4 car-already passed variance process)
- Lutron lighting system
- Crestron Electronic system for television and sound system
- 100 amps Kohler generator
- Whole house water filtration system (EWS)
- Steel reinforced lower level
- Two water heaters
- Two furnaces
- 2 A/C systems
- Curved stone walls built by Strecker landscaping
- 6 | 2
- 4 | 3
- 7 | 1
- 6 | 1
- 5 | 2
About MillburnVISIT NEIGHBORHOOD
In 2007 Millburn celebrated 150 years as an incorporated town with festivities and a grand parade. The aleictorian, Italianate, Tudor and Colonial homes in this historic part of town set the tone for the comfortable suburb of modern day Millburn. Stewart Hartshorn acquired 1552 acres to build his ideal village called Short Hills, the first planned commuter suburb in America. Hartshorn, who had made his fortune in spring roller blinds, wanted to create “a harmonious community for people who appreciate nature” and a place "where natural beauty would not be destroyed by real estate developments, and where people of congenial tastes could dwell together." His vision is still much of what Millburn/Short Hills is today.
Millburn School Information
Looking for academic excellence? You have come to the right place. Millburn Township Schools are top notch. Millburn High School is consistently ranked not only #1 in the state of New Jersey but also one of the top in the entire country. Millburn High School is a Blue Ribbon School. There are 5 elementary Schools, all consistently ranking among the top in NJ’s annual School Report Card: Glenwood , Hartshorn, Deerfield all serve the Short Hills residents, and South Mountain and Wyoming Schools are the elementary schools for Millburn residents. Millburn Middle School, which has been named a Benchmark School of Excellence based on the state assessments. It also has a Peer Leadership program wwhere the 8th grade students engage in community service.
Millburn Commuting Info
With easy access via rail, highway, bus and air it is understandable why Millburn and Short Hills have become a popular choice for young professionals moving from Manhattan. Great news for Millburn residents! The Maplewood jitney service now picks up in the Wyoming Section and dropping at the Maplewood train station. Stops at 2 locations are scheduled: Ridgewood Road and Cypress Street & Wyoming and Elm Street for a $1 fare each way. check out our blog for more info There are two railroad stations serving the area, one in the heart of Short Hills and the other in the center of Millburn, from where New York Penn Station is just a 35 to 40 minute ride on NJ Transit ‘s Midtown Direct Train Line. Going to down town Manhattan? The PATH Rapid Transit System takes commuters straight into Hoboken, as well as New York’s financial district. For the scenic route, many commuters prefer to take the ferry across from Hoboken instead. Commuter parking lots are available to residents of Millburn/ Short Hills. Parking at Millburn and Short Hills train stations is on a first come, first served basis. Permits cost $360 per year and are issued by the Tax Collector at Millburn Town Hall, 375 Millburn Avenue, Millburn, 07041. For more information call 973-564-7083 during office hours. By car, routes 24, 280, I-78, the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway are all within easy access. Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, is a 20 minute drive away.
Millburn BLOG POSTS
Congratulations to 100th Home Sale Final Round Participants!READ MORE
100th Home Sale Charity Program – First Round Voting Has Closed!READ MORE
The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation is Dedicated to Today’s Care and Tomorrow’s CureREAD MORE
- 34 Minutes to NYC