There may be no place like home for the holidays, but sometimes you have to get away. Even if it’s just to get out of the house. Even if it’s only for a few hours. But especially if you’re down to your last nerve from having to entertain your children for the week that school is out.
But whether you’re down to your last nerve or just looking for a fun family activity, the good news is that there’s plenty to do in New Jersey during the break. So, if you’re not traveling this holiday, here are some ideas to get the little ones (and the big ones too) out of the house.
- The doc is in at Liberty Science Center. Your kids will love playing doctor at Liberty Science Center’s Doc McStuffins: The Exhibit. Based on Disney Junior’s award-winning TV series Doc McStuffins, the exhibit transports kids and families from Liberty Science Center to Doc’s backyard clinic and the McStuffins Toy Hospital. And while you’re there, don’t miss the new Sherlock Holmes Exhibition.In this interactive adventure, you’ll be transported into Sherlock Holmes’ London – a world filled with innovation and experimentation in the field of forensic science. You’ll learn how Sherlock Holmes, a scientific expert ahead of his time, used seemingly trivial observations of clues others missed to solve some of the era’s most mysterious crimes.
- Bundle up for thrills and chills at Six Flags Holiday In the Park. This winter, the park has transformed into a winter wonderland with characters, shows and holiday-adorned rides and attractions. Not sure what to do on New Years Eve? Try the fireworks celebration at Holiday in the Park along with world-class rides, holiday lights, delicious treats and entertainment.
- Spend the evening at Jenkinson’s Aquarium in Point Pleasant for an indoor lights spectacular. This winter wonderland features treats, crafts, pictures with Santa & friends, games & more! The Aquarium, Sweet Shop, Aquarium Gift Shop & Pavilion arcade will be open and don’t miss Princess Palooza mini holiday shows 12/26 – 12/28 on the Pavillon stage at 7pm and 8:15pm.
- Take a ride to Frozen in Ice Festival at the Skylands Stadium and check out the amazing interactive ice sculptures in a carnival theme. Ride down a huge 50-foot ice slide and enjoy cocktails and wine in a unique ice lounge and ice bar. Bundle up and enjoy ice carving demonstrations by professional ice artists and take wagon rides and s’more!
- No need to go to Vermont for outdoor fun. Mountain Creek in Vernon Township is about a half hour away. Enjoy skiing and boarding for the novice all the way up to the black diamond skier. And if you want a different type of adrenaline rush, try snow tubing mountainside. After you hit the slopes and work up an appetite, satisfy your hunger at the many dining options nearby.
- Reach for the starts at Dreyfuss Planetarium in Newark. New Jersey’s first planetarium is an interactive theater for learning about astronomy, space and science. You can explore the constellation, travel through the Solar System and visit distant galaxies and soar to the edge of the universe.
- Satisfy your little and big one’s sports appetite with a college hoops game at Rutgers or Seton Hall University. And if they are looking for fun on the ice take a ride over to the Prudential Center to cheer on the New Jersey Devils.
- Stryke’s Bowling in Madison is fun for the entire family. Where else can you go where adults can enjoy a cocktail and a game of pool while the children can get their fill with plenty of pizza and chicken wings. And it’s even open on Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
- Glide on over to the South Mountain Ice Arena. Don’t have skates? Don’t worry, you can rent skates for the whole family. Lace up those skates and hit the ice!
Happy Holidays and Enjoy your Break!!