Family Promise believes that the solution to family homelessness exists in every community and diligently fights to move toward these solutions. By taking the unique and cost effective approach of using resources that already exist within our communities, Family Promise has been able to expand their services to more than just providing shelter and meals. They have been able to leverage the generosity of congregations to provide temporary shelter space in their buildings; volunteers to cook and serve meals, play with children and spread hospitality; donations of transportations services; and day centers or worship centers where families can take showers, receive case managements assistance and look for housing and jobs. This approach aids in opening resources to address the underlying issues of homelessness in a holistic, effective way. Through community engagement, people understand the root causes of family homelessness and work to change the lives of these families for the better. In fact, 74% of the families served will gain long-term housing within 9 weeks in the program! This approach of keeping families together, identifying their strengths and partnering with the community puts families at a much lower risk of returning to homelessness.
Here are 5 things that you should know about Family Promise and what they do:
- Family Promise is the national leader addressing the issue of family homelessness, with presence in more than 200 communities and 42 states.
- Family Promise engages more than 6,000 congregations and organizations and 180,000 volunteers nationally to address family homelessness.
- Our innovative approach is one-third the cost of a traditional shelter, and it empowers nearly 60,000 people each year into sustainable independence.
- In Union County, Family Promise offers hospitality through 16 host and 21 support congregations engaging 1,000 volunteers.
- In 2016, Family Promise Union County hosted 4,674 overnight stays, served 15,330 home-cooked, nutritious meals, and secured permanent housing for 82% of families within eight weeks.
There are so many amazing non-profit organizations serving the members of our communities along the MidTown Direct Train Lines. It is an honor for The Sue Adler Team to feature so many of these organizations through our 100th Home Sale Charity Program. We’re humbled by the work that they do and we are proud to feature each one by providing more in-depth information about them and how they serve. The 2017 Sue Adler Team 100th Home Sale Charity Program is up and running and first round voting is well under way! We invite you to learn more about how our Team will give away $20,000 across 6 local charities upon the close of our 100th home sale of the year, and how YOU can decide which charity moves on to the final round of voting. Visit www.sueadler.com/100home to vote daily for your charity of choice, and the top 6 vote-getters will move on to the final round. To learn more about Family Promise and the amazing work that they do, please visit www.familypromise.org.