Stunning Beautifully Restored & Updated Chatham Estate Home Overlooking Watchung Reservation
- 4 full, 1 half
- $7,005 / mo
- Mortgage Calculator
Utterly captivating both inside and out, this magnificent 1911 Chatham Borough estate home is situated on 1.26 acres of idyllic park-like grounds. Elegant craftsmanship and original period details are evident throughout this historic gem where the grandeur of yesterday blends seamlessly with the finest in modern amenities. Living Room and Family Room with scenic views, grand decorative fireplaces and custom woodwork, gourmet Kitchen with high end appliances, marble counter tops, center island with honed granite, neighboring Butler’s Pantry and sun drenched Breakfast Room. 6 bedrooms and 4.5 baths with 2014 upgrades of the Master Bath and the 2 additional Full Baths on 2nd level. Separate Carriage House/Garage with Guest Apartment. Easy access to town, NYC Midtown Direct transportation and top rated Chatham schools. This stately home is a MUST see!
Welcome to 228 Fairmount Avenue, a stately treasure built in 1911 on the original site of the centerpiece home of the 200-acre “Fairmount” Martin Estate. Situated on 1.26 acres of beautifully landscaped property with panoramic NYC skyline views and vistas of the rolling hills of the New Jersey Highlands, this magnificent Chatham Borough home boasts original period details evident at every turn. Recent upgrades have only enhanced the charm of this truly unique residence.
Upon arrival, you’ll proceed through the impressive covered portico and inviting tiled vestibule into the gracious Entry Foyer where elegance abounds as you peer through broad archways and the front to back hallway into the abundant living and dining spaces found on the first level. Through original pocket doors to the left you’ll find a grand Living Room with impressive decorative fireplace and finely crafted built-in cabinetry. Large picture windows with both front and rear views set the mood for an intimate family gathering or a festive party with friends. Two sets of French doors lead to a Family Room boasting original woodwork and windows on three sides along with a decorative floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace that really makes a statement.
Step back through the entry foyer and proceed through another set of pocket doors into the Front Parlor for a game of billiards or into the Formal Dining Room highlighted by beautifully detailed coffered ceiling, stunning windows with decorative stained glass design and gleaming hardwood floors. A more elegant dining setting will be hard to find. The adjacent Butler’s Pantry with plenty of space for china storage and a desk area for organizing daily activities leads to the gourmet Kitchen featuring a huge custom center island, top-of-the-line appliances and custom cabinetry accented by fine marble and granite. It’s the ideal setting for the preparation of a gourmet creation or just a quick snack, and is open to the charming Breakfast Area with large windows overlooking the trellised brick paver terraces with surrounding rose gardens, stone-stepped walkways and antique wrought iron gates. A conveniently located Powder Room and a Mud Room with access to the rear terrace complete the first level living space.
When it’s time to retire for the night, you’ll stroll up the grand staircase to the second level where unlimited charm exudes throughout the sleeping quarters. The Master Suite with warm hued hardwood floors is drenched in light from large windows and enjoys direct access to a neighboring bedroom as well as the Master Sitting Room elegantly adorned with original period woodwork. Here, you’ll unwind at the end of the day as cool breezes sweep through the original pocket windows. Enter the spa-like completely updated en suite bath with coffered ceiling to luxuriate in the large jetted soaking tub or in the oversized marble shower with rain showerhead. A conveniently located dressing area with large closets sits adjacent to a handsome Master Study that overlooks the backyard. Four additional bedrooms and two newly renovated baths assure there’s ample room for family and guests, while an additional bedroom, full modern bath and a home office on the third level provide even more options.
And there’s more…The lower level Family Room set beneath a hand-hewn beamed ceiling boasts a decorative rustic stone hearth fireplace that will surely take center stage as you gather for family game nights or movie watching with friends. A Laundry Room, Workshop, Utility Room and Full Bath complete the lower level space that has walk-out access to the rear property and Carriage House. This original structure is outfitted with a three car garage, indoor pool and shower room, plenty of storage and work space along with a 2nd level 3-bedroom apartment that’s ideal for use as guest quarters, an in-law suite or as a rental property.
228 Fairmount Avenue is a picturesque property that is reflective of the rich history of Chatham Borough. It provides the perfect opportunity for those who appreciate the special beauty of vintage homes to also enjoy easy access to town, NYC Midtown Direct transportation and top-rated Chatham schools. This stately home is a MUST see!
Floor by Floor Details of 228 Fairmount Avenue, Chatham Borough
- Vestibule featuring double mahogany doors with beveled glass panes, ceramic tile floor, raised panel wainscoting, decorative leaded glass windows and door with beveled glass insets leading to Entry Foyer
- Entry Foyer with hardwood floors, chandelier, raised panel wainscoting, crown molding, large coat closet; broad archways to Living Room and Parlor, center hardwood staircase with carpet runner, front to back hallway with access to Dining Room and Kitchen
- Living Room with original pocket doors, carpet, large picture window overlooking front veranda with window seat and built-in storage, second picture window with window seat and storage facing backyard, original woodwork including raised panel quarter sawn oak wainscoting, beamed ceiling, 2 built-in book cases/display cabinets with glass front accents and decorative ledge, 2 brass chandeliers, large decorative fireplace with quarter sawn oak mantel, brick surround and detailed brass hood, 2 brass sconces, intricately detailed original period radiator covers; 2 sets of French doors lead to Family Room
- Family Room with quarter sawn oak paneling and ceiling, decorative stone fireplace with metal hood and stone hearth, 2 frosted glass light fixtures, windows on 3 sides with original restored wood blinds include large “pocket windows” with screens, and 2 large picture windows, stamped concrete fllor, 2 sconces with frosted glass
- Billiard Room/Front Parlor featuring broad archway entrance with original pocket doors, hardwood floors, large closet, crown molding, large picture window with window seat and blinds, additional window with blinds
- Dining Room with hardwood floors, raised panel wainscoting, coffered ceiling, full windowed wall with leaded glass windows accented by stained glass leaf pattern and window seat below, storage closet with shelves and door with decorative leaded glass/stained glass leaf pattern inset, walk-in china/crystal closet with built-in drawers and glass paned cabinets, frosted glass exterior window; 2 doors to center hallway and access to Butler’s Pantry/work station
- Butler’s Pantry with hardwood floors, custom cabinetry with marble counter flanked by full wall of storage and file drawers and glass fronted cabinets, work area with wood top desk, custom built-in drawers and cabinets, window overlooking side yard; doorway to Kitchen
- Kitchen featuring wide plank quarter sawn oak floors with mahogany inlay border, crown molding, recessed lighting, custom cabinetry with precious Statuario Carrera marble counter tops and ceramic tile backsplash, top of the line stainless appliances including Viking Professional 4-burner range with center griddle and grill with wood block covering and detailed woodwork hood above, 1.5 ovens below, separate corner layout Viking convection oven, Sub-Zero refrigerator/freezer with integrated cabinetry panel, Marvel beverage cooler with integrated cabinetry panel, farmhouse sink with instant hot and Seagull water filtration system, large custom center island with breakfast bar built offsite to replicate the fine detailing of the original wainscoting found in the Living Room with honed granite counter top, stainless steel prep sink with disposal, trash compactor, side shelf with storage below; open to Mudroom, doorways to wide rear staircase and to lower level, broad archway entrance with ½ wall room divider to Breakfast Room with large windows, wide plank hard wood flooring with radiant heat, crown molding, recessed lights, and large windows
- Mudroom with stone floor with radiant heat, frosted glass pendant light, closet with shelves and side door to brick paver patio
- Powder Room with pedestal sink
- Gallery Landing with hardwood floors with mahogany ribbon inlay border and carpet runner, crown molding, window seat and access to linen storage alcove and rear staircase
- Master Bedroom Suite featuring hardwood floors with mahogany inlay border, crown molding, 2 large windows with wood blinds, French doors to Sitting Room/Family Room, doorway to Bedroom #2 and en suite bath with coffered ceiling, mosaic marble tile floor and walls, radiant heat, 2 stained glass windows, Americh jetted tub with mosaic marble tile surround, walk-in marble shower with glass door, built-in bench and rain shower head, recessed lighting, His & Hers vanities with marble tops, cabinets below and built-in mirrored medicine cabinets above, 4 pendant fixtures, dressing area with large sliding mirrored doors to closet with coffered ceiling and recessed lighting, additional closet
- Master Study with hardwood floors, large window and French door to Master Sitting Room with pocket windows with blinds and crown molding
- Bedroom #2 with hardwood floors with inlay border, picture window with shade and additional window, light fixture, crown molding, large closet and doorway to Master Suite and access to shared Jack & Jill bath with marble tile floor, crown molding, vanity with marble counter, built-in mirrored medicine cabinet, tiled shower with glass door and rain shower head, 2 sconces, frosted glass window
- Bedroom #3 with hardwood floors with inlay border, crown molding, 2 windows with shades, walk-in closet and access to Jack and Jill bath shared with Bedroom #2
- Bedroom #4 with carpet, closet, 2 windows with shades, closet
- Bedroom #5 with carpet, 2 windows with blinds, closet and built-in dresser
- Full Hall Bath with tile floor and walls, corner shower over tub, pedestal sink, built-in mirrored medicine cabinet, 2 sconces, storage closet and frosted glass window
- Gallery landing with carpet
- Bedroom #6 with angled ceiling, carpet, 2 windows, sconce, walk-in closet and sitting alcove
- Office with carpet, 2 windows, crown molding, supplemental electric heat
- 2 large walk-in attic storage areas
Lower Level (Grade Level)
- Family Room with hand hewn beamed ceiling, new carpet, full wall decorative stone fireplace, carpet, track lighting, 6 windows with blinds, Dutch door to driveway and additional Dutch door to side alley
- Unfinished workshop/utility room with fluorescent lighting, peg board, built-in shelving and storage areas
- Laundry Room with carpet, 2 utility sinks, fluorescent lighting, door to rear yard
- Open area for use as home gym, hobby room, etc.
- Full Bath with tile floor, sink, shower with glass door
- Grade level:
- 3-car (2 bay) garage with electric doors, toilet, laundry room with utility sink, washer and dryer, indoor pool (12’x20’ and 10’deep) with sliding doors to side yard, shower area
- Lower Level:
- Garage with driveway access, work area and storage space, 2 tanks for oil heat, new hot water heater
- 2nd Level Guest Apartment
- Living Room with hardwood floors, crown molding, 2 large windows, doors to sun porch and access to walk-in closet
- Sun Porch with hardwood floors, 2 full windowed walls, pull down steps to attic storage
- Kitchen with tile floor, 2 windows, double stainless steel sink with tile backsplash, electric range/oven, GE compact refrigerator/freezer, cabinets and built-in shelves
- Full Bath with vanity, storage cabinets and mirror, shower over tub, linen closet, tiled walls, light fixture
- Bedroom #1 with carpet, closet and window
- Bedroom #2 with closet, window and light fixture
- Bedroom #3 with carpet, closet, 3 windows with blinds, light fixture
- 26 acre professionally landscaped property with scenic vistas including NYC skyline and Highlands mountain range, brick paver approach to expansive front terrace and portico with columns, brick paver patio with seating area, stone ledge surround and hot tub, flat lawns with stone walking path and intricate iron gate, bluestone staircase to lower level of property and carriage house
- Natural gas, steam heat, supplemental electric heating units
- 3-zone Air Conditioning
- Multi-zone underground sprinkler system
- Main House Furnace (2014) and Carriage House Furnace (2014)
- Master Bath remodeled (2014)
- 2 additional Baths remodeled (2014)
- New carpet lower level Recreation Room (2014)
- New hot water heater (2014)
- New Kitchen addition (2001)
- Water softener and 2 pressurized tanks for improved water pressure
- Security and fire alarm systems
DETAILS & FEATURES
- 3 Zone A/C
- Newly paved driveway
- Fresh Interior Paint
Sorry, no similar listings available at this time.
About ChathamVISIT NEIGHBORHOOD
The enticingly attractive areas of Chatham Borough and the neighboring Chatham Township share a common heritage and are often referred to as Chatham or The Chathams. This locale is known for its small-town elegance, quality public schools, and scenic green spaces. Residents adore their community for its quiet, residential appeal as well as the social element of its quaint downtown area. With gorgeous homes, well-maintained public spaces, restaurants, shopping, hassle-free commuting, and a family friendly atmosphere, Chatham couldn’t be a more perfect location for New Jersey homebuyers.
Chatham School Information
The School District of the Chathams is one of the best aspects of the Chatham area, known for its high standards, family involvement, and community engagement. Educational excellence is highly valued in the Chatham community, and the district receives support from The Chatham Education Foundation of New Jersey, a very active group of parents and community members who work to provide their school system with additional resources and programs. The School District of The Chathams is served by four elementary schools (Milton Avenue, Southern Boulevard,Washington Avenue, and Lafayette School), Chatham Middle School and Chatham High School. Every one of these institutions boast a reputation for striving to meet the needs of every child through carefully tailored curriculums and an individualized approach that is tailored to meet the needs of each student. This degree of excellence has not gone unnoticed – Chatham High School was recently awarded with a Blue Ribbon Award of Excellence, the highest award conferred on schools by the US Department of Education. The district also offers athletic, musical, and theatre programs that help students to excel outside of the classroom and expand their fields of interest. Without a doubt, education is a top priority in The Chatham area.
|10Glenwood Elementary School||K-5||325 Taylor Rd South, Short Hills, NJ 07078|
|10Glenwood Elementary School||K-5||325 Taylor Rd South, Short Hills, NJ 07078|
|10Glenwood Elementary School||K-5||325 Taylor Rd South, Short Hills, NJ 07078|
Chatham Commuting Info
With beautiful homes, gorgeous scenery, and fabulous amenities within 25 miles of New York, it is no surprise that Chatham is an extremely popular area for commuters. Chatham Station is on New Jersey Transit’s Morristown Line with a Midtown direct commuter service reaching New York Penn Station in as little as 45 minutes, as well as a direct train line to Hoboken. Many homes in Chatham Borough are within walking or biking distance of the Chatham train station, making it easy for commuters to get to work without the harrowing experience of trying to grab a parking spot early in the morning.
Chatham’s location provides easy access to routes I-78 and I-287, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway, and Route 280. The Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, is just a 20 minute drive away, and New Jersey Transit’s MCM-3 bus runs through Chatham between Livingston Mall, Short Hills Mall, Madison, Morristown, Morris Plains, and Greystone Park.
Chatham BLOG POSTS
2017 Chatham New Jersey Market ReviewREAD MORE
The Sweet Smell of SpringREAD MORE
Celebrate Purim New Jersey Style!READ MORE
- 42 Minutes to NYC