Stunning Beautifully Restored & Updated Chatham Estate Home Overlooking Watchung Reservation
- 4 full, 1 half
- $4,928 / mo
- Mortgage Calculator
Welcome to 228 Fairmount Avenue, a stately treasure built in 1911 on the original site of the centerpiece home of the 200-acre “Fairmount” Martin Estate. Situated on 1.26 acres of beautifully landscaped property with panoramic NYC skyline views and vistas of the rolling hills of the New Jersey Highlands, this magnificent Chatham Borough home boasts original period details evident at every turn. Recent upgrades have only enhanced the charm of this truly unique residence.
Upon arrival, you’ll proceed through the impressive covered portico and inviting tiled vestibule into the gracious Entry Foyer where elegance abounds as you peer through broad archways and the front to back hallway into the abundant living and dining spaces found on the first level.
Through original pocket doors to the left you’ll find a grand Living Room with impressive decorative fireplace and finely crafted built-in cabinetry. Large picture windows with both front and rear views set the mood for an intimate family gathering or a festive party with friends. Two sets of French doors lead to a Family Room boasting original woodwork and windows on three sides along with a decorative floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace that really makes a statement.Step back through the entry foyer and proceed through another set of pocket doors into the Front Parlor for a game of billiards or into the Formal Dining Room highlighted by beautifully detailed coffered ceiling, stunning windows with decorative stained glass design and gleaming hardwood floors. A more elegant dining setting will be hard to find. The adjacent Butler’s Pantry with plenty of space for china storage and a desk area for organizing daily activities leads to the gourmet Kitchen featuring a huge custom center island, top-of-the-line appliances and custom cabinetry accented by fine marble and granite. It’s the ideal setting for the preparation of a gourmet creation or just a quick snack, and is open to the charming Breakfast Area with large windows overlooking the trellised brick paver terraces with surrounding rose gardens, stone-stepped walkways and antique wrought iron gates. A conveniently located Powder Room and a Mud Room with access to the rear terrace complete the first level living space. When it’s time to retire for the night, you’ll stroll up the grand staircase to the second level where unlimited charm exudes throughout the sleeping quarters. The Master Suite with warm hued hardwood floors is drenched in light from large windows and enjoys direct access to a neighboring bedroom as well as the Master Sitting Room elegantly adorned with original period woodwork. Here, you’ll unwind at the end of the day as cool breezes sweep through the original pocket windows. Enter the spa-like completely updated en suite bath with coffered ceiling to luxuriate in the large jetted soaking tub or in the oversized marble shower with rain showerhead. A conveniently located dressing area with large closets sits adjacent to a handsome Master Study that overlooks the backyard. Four additional bedrooms and two newly renovated baths assure there’s ample room for family and guests, while an additional bedroom, full modern bath and a home office on the third level provide even more options. And there’s more…The lower level Family Room set beneath a hand-hewn beamed ceiling boasts a decorative rustic stone hearth fireplace that will surely take center stage as you gather for family game nights or movie watching with friends. A Laundry Room, Workshop, Utility Room and Full Bath complete the lower level space that has walk-out access to the rear property and Carriage House. This original structure is outfitted with a three car garage, indoor pool and shower room, plenty of storage and work space along with a 2nd level 3-bedroom apartment that’s ideal for use as guest quarters, an in-law suite or as a rental property. 228 Fairmount Avenue is a picturesque property that is reflective of the rich history of Chatham Borough. It provides the perfect opportunity for those who appreciate the special beauty of vintage homes to also enjoy easy access to town, NYC Midtown Direct transportation and top-rated Chatham schools. This stately home is a MUST see!
Floor by Floor Details of 228 Fairmount Avenue, Chatham BoroughFirst Level
- Vestibule featuring double mahogany doors with beveled glass panes, ceramic tile floor, raised panel wainscoting, decorative leaded glass windows and door with beveled glass insets leading to Entry Foyer
- Entry Foyer with hardwood floors, chandelier, raised panel wainscoting, crown molding, large coat closet; broad archways to Living Room and Parlor, center hardwood staircase with carpet runner, front to back hallway with access to Dining Room and Kitchen
- Living Room with original pocket doors, carpet, large picture window overlooking front veranda with window seat and built-in storage, second picture window with window seat and storage facing backyard, original woodwork including raised panel quarter sawn oak wainscoting, beamed ceiling, 2 built-in book cases/display cabinets with glass front accents and decorative ledge, 2 brass chandeliers, large decorative fireplace with quarter sawn oak mantel, brick surround and detailed brass hood, 2 brass sconces, intricately detailed original period radiator covers; 2 sets of French doors lead to Family Room
- Family Room with quarter sawn oak paneling and ceiling, decorative stone fireplace with metal hood and stone hearth, 2 frosted glass light fixtures, windows on 3 sides with original restored wood blinds include large “pocket windows” with screens, and 2 large picture windows, stamped concrete fllor, 2 sconces with frosted glass
- Billiard Room/Front Parlor featuring broad archway entrance with original pocket doors, hardwood floors, large closet, crown molding, large picture window with window seat and blinds, additional window with blinds
- Dining Room with hardwood floors, raised panel wainscoting, coffered ceiling, full windowed wall with leaded glass windows accented by stained glass leaf pattern and window seat below, storage closet with shelves and door with decorative leaded glass/stained glass leaf pattern inset, walk-in china/crystal closet with built-in drawers and glass paned cabinets, frosted glass exterior window; 2 doors to center hallway and access to Butler’s Pantry/work station
- Butler’s Pantry with hardwood floors, custom cabinetry with marble counter flanked by full wall of storage and file drawers and glass fronted cabinets, work area with wood top desk, custom built-in drawers and cabinets, window overlooking side yard; doorway to Kitchen
- Kitchen featuring wide plank quarter sawn oak floors with mahogany inlay border, crown molding, recessed lighting, custom cabinetry with precious Statuario Carrera marble counter tops and ceramic tile backsplash, top of the line stainless appliances including Viking Professional 4-burner range with center griddle and grill with wood block covering and detailed woodwork hood above, 1.5 ovens below, separate corner layout Viking convection oven, Sub-Zero refrigerator/freezer with integrated cabinetry panel, Marvel beverage cooler with integrated cabinetry panel, farmhouse sink with instant hot and Seagull water filtration system, large custom center island with breakfast bar built offsite to replicate the fine detailing of the original wainscoting found in the Living Room with honed granite counter top, stainless steel prep sink with disposal, trash compactor, side shelf with storage below; open to Mudroom, doorways to wide rear staircase and to lower level, broad archway entrance with ½ wall room divider to Breakfast Room with large windows, wide plank hard wood flooring with radiant heat, crown molding, recessed lights, and large windows
- Mudroom with stone floor with radiant heat, frosted glass pendant light, closet with shelves and side door to brick paver patio
- Powder Room with pedestal sink
- Gallery Landing with hardwood floors with mahogany ribbon inlay border and carpet runner, crown molding, window seat and access to linen storage alcove and rear staircase
- Master Bedroom Suite featuring hardwood floors with mahogany inlay border, crown molding, 2 large windows with wood blinds, French doors to Sitting Room/Family Room, doorway to Bedroom #2 and en suite bath with coffered ceiling, mosaic marble tile floor and walls, radiant heat, 2 stained glass windows, Americh jetted tub with mosaic marble tile surround, walk-in marble shower with glass door, built-in bench and rain shower head, recessed lighting, His & Hers vanities with marble tops, cabinets below and built-in mirrored medicine cabinets above, 4 pendant fixtures, dressing area with large sliding mirrored doors to closet with coffered ceiling and recessed lighting, additional closet
- Master Study with hardwood floors, large window and French door to Master Sitting Room with pocket windows with blinds and crown molding
- Bedroom #2 with hardwood floors with inlay border, picture window with shade and additional window, light fixture, crown molding, large closet and doorway to Master Suite and access to shared Jack & Jill bath with marble tile floor, crown molding, vanity with marble counter, built-in mirrored medicine cabinet, tiled shower with glass door and rain shower head, 2 sconces, frosted glass window
- Bedroom #3 with hardwood floors with inlay border, crown molding, 2 windows with shades, walk-in closet and access to Jack and Jill bath shared with Bedroom #2
- Bedroom #4 with carpet, closet, 2 windows with shades, closet
- Bedroom #5 with carpet, 2 windows with blinds, closet and built-in dresser
- Full Hall Bath with tile floor and walls, corner shower over tub, pedestal sink, built-in mirrored medicine cabinet, 2 sconces, storage closet and frosted glass window
- Gallery landing with carpet
- Bedroom #6 with angled ceiling, carpet, 2 windows, sconce, walk-in closet and sitting alcove
- Office with carpet, 2 windows, crown molding, supplemental electric heat
- 2 large walk-in attic storage areas
- Family Room with hand hewn beamed ceiling, new carpet, full wall decorative stone fireplace, carpet, track lighting, 6 windows with blinds, Dutch door to driveway and additional Dutch door to side alley
- Unfinished workshop/utility room with fluorescent lighting, peg board, built-in shelving and storage areas
- Laundry Room with carpet, 2 utility sinks, fluorescent lighting, door to rear yard
- Open area for use as home gym, hobby room, etc.
- Full Bath with tile floor, sink, shower with glass door
- Grade level:
- 3-car (2 bay) garage with electric doors, toilet, laundry room with utility sink, washer and dryer, indoor pool (12’x20’ and 10’deep) with sliding doors to side yard, shower area
- Lower Level:
- Garage with driveway access, work area and storage space, 2 tanks for oil heat, new hot water heater
- 2nd Level Guest Apartment
- Living Room with hardwood floors, crown molding, 2 large windows, doors to sun porch and access to walk-in closet
- Sun Porch with hardwood floors, 2 full windowed walls, pull down steps to attic storage
- Kitchen with tile floor, 2 windows, double stainless steel sink with tile backsplash, electric range/oven, GE compact refrigerator/freezer, cabinets and built-in shelves
- Full Bath with vanity, storage cabinets and mirror, shower over tub, linen closet, tiled walls, light fixture
- Bedroom #1 with carpet, closet and window
- Bedroom #2 with closet, window and light fixture
- Bedroom #3 with carpet, closet, 3 windows with blinds, light fixture
- 1.26 acre professionally landscaped property with scenic vistas including NYC skyline and Highlands mountain range, brick paver approach to expansive front terrace and portico with columns, brick paver patio with seating area, stone ledge surround and hot tub, flat lawns with stone walking path and intricate iron gate, bluestone staircase to lower level of property and carriage house
- Natural gas, steam heat, supplemental electric heating units
- 3-zone Air Conditioning
- Multi-zone underground sprinkler system
- Main House Furnace (2014) and Carriage House Furnace (2014)
- Master Bath remodeled (2014)
- 2 additional Baths remodeled (2014)
- New carpet lower level Recreation Room (2014)
- New hot water heater (2014)
- New Kitchen addition (2001)
- Water softener and 2 pressurized tanks for improved water pressure
- Security and fire alarm systems
DETAILS & FEATURES
- 3 Zone A/C
- Newly paved driveway
- Fresh Interior Paint
About ChathamVISIT NEIGHBORHOOD
The attractive areas of Chatham Borough neighboring Chatham Township share a common heritage and are often referred to as Chatham, or The Chathams. Chatham has been named one of the top ten places to live in the United States by Money Magazine! Chatham Township shares various joint public services with Chatham Borough: the school district (created in 1986), the library (since 1974), the municipal court (created 2010), the medical emergency squad (since 1936), and the decades long, recreation program.
Chatham School Information
Families moving to the Chathams often tell me that the area’s biggest draw is the very high standards of the schools. Parents here place a high value on education, resulting in one of the most outstanding systems in the area. Schools in both Chatham Township and Chatham Borough come under the administration of the School District of the Chathams, supported by a very active group of parents and community members in the Chatham Education Foundation. Since their inception in 1997 they have raised over $300,000 to enhance Chatham’s schools.
Chatham High School was recently recognized with a Blue Ribbon Award of Excellence, the highest award conferred on schools by the US Department of Education. It was ranked 8th among New Jersey’s 322 public schools by New Jersey Monthly magazine in 2010. The school strives to meet the educational needs of every child with a carefully tailored curriculum which includes 18 or so AP courses as well as providing support for children with special needs. Students excel outside the classroom too – Chatham High School has an award winning marching band, a lively theatre program and top of the league teams in basketball, tennis, cross-country and soccer.
One unique feature of the Chatham Middle School is the way each grade is divided into “houses,” creating a smaller, more intimate atmosphere. There are four elementary schools: kids go to Milton Avenue, Southern Boulevard, or Washington Avenue from kindergarten to grade 3 and then on toLafayette School for the final two years of their elementary education.
Chatham kids love the summer camps run by the Work Family Connection.
You can continue learning when schooldays are long gone at the Adult School, which offers a huge variety of classes in everything from arts and crafts, through to challenging courses on business and legal issues.
|10Deerfield Elementary School||PK-5||26 Troy Ln, Short Hills, NJ 07078|
|10Deerfield Elementary School||PK-5||26 Troy Ln, Short Hills, NJ 07078|
Chatham Commuting Info
Beautiful homes, plenty of space, fabulous amenities and only 25 miles from New York City – is it any wonder Chatham is so popular with commuters? Chatham Station is on New Jersey Transit’s Morristown Line with a Midtown Direct commuter service reaching New York Penn Station in as little as 46 minutes. There are direct trains into Hoboken, too. Most homes in Chatham Borough are within walking distance of the Chatham train station, and there are free bike racks there. Residents can apply for parking permits from Chatham Borough for the lots next to the station on Fairmount Avenue and Railroad Plaza and along Bond Street and Fairmount Avenue. They cost around $350 a year.
There is metered parking, too, for $5.00 per day. Chatham is just off exit 7 of Route 24, providing easy access to I-78 and I-287, and the New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway and Route 280 are all within 10-15 minutes. Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, is just a 20 minute drive away. New Jersey Transit’s MCM-3 bus runs through Chatham between Livingston Mall, Short Hills Mall, Madison, Morristown, Morris Plains and Greystone Park.
Chatham BLOG POSTS
Best New Jersey Spring Break DestinationsREAD MORE
We’re Giving Away $20,000 Again This Year!READ MORE
Tips for Buying a New Jersey Home From Out of StateREAD MORE
- 42 Minutes to NYC