Spacious updated ranchSouth Orange
37 Speir Drive South Orange, NJ 07079 – SOLD!
- 37 Speir Drive
- South Orange
- New Jersey
Move right in to this totally renovated ranch in South Orange’s sought after Newstead Section. This home is priced to sell and the BEST value on the market. Renovated baths, granite countertops and walnut cabinets in updated kitchen, sun room, family room, walls of windows and tiered deck with access to rear yard. There is an additional full finished walk out ground level living space. Jitney stop around the corner takes you to and from South Orange Train station.
The First Level
- An entry foyer greets you and includes hardwood floors
- The front-to-back living room features hardwood floors and crown molding. The wood-burning fire-place includes a marble surround with built-in shelving on both sides. Large front and back picture windows usher the sunlight into nearly every corner.
- Adjoining the living room is the formal dining room. Hardwood floors and crown moldings are featured.
- The kitchen has wood cabinets, granite counters and mosaic tile backsplash. Stainless steel appli-ances includes, dishwasher, gas cook top and wall oven. Access to the attached two car garage is per-fect for carrying in all your groceries.
- Located off the living room is a four-season sun room with wall to wall carpeting and windows on three walls. Step outside the sunroom door to enjoy one of three decks that overlooks the backyard.
- The updated hall bathroom is perfect for overnight guests and serves the guest bedroom aptly with tile flooring, pedestal sink, mosaic backsplash and jetted tub with shower.
- Further down the main hallway you will find the Master Bedroom with hardwood floors, and 2 walk-in closets.
- The Master bath features tile floors with a pedestal sink and stall shower.
- The guest bedroom features hardwood floors, deep closet and plenty of natural light from windows.
The Lower Level
- The lower level family room has wall-to-wall carpet and access to two large rear decks.
- Adjacent to the family room is the office, quiet and tranquil.
- The lower level full bathroom features tile floors with a shower over tub.
- Bedroom 3 has wood floors and walk-in closet.
- Bedroom 4 has wood floors and plenty of natural sunlight.
- Laundry room/utility room features a kitchenette complete with a sink and plenty of room for storing all your items.
- New Carpeting upstairs hallway/stairs/and lower foyer (2012)
- Updated kitchen (2011)
- Updated first level bathrooms (2011)
- Door put in from kitchen to garage (2011)
- New retaining wall (2011)
- Deck re-stained (2011)
- New Chimney (2011 from roof up)
- New Water Heater (2011)
- New windows lower office (2011)
- House freshly painted (2012/2011)
- Updated downstairs bathroom (2009)
Visit The Community
The Maplewood – South Orange School District, serving Maplewood and South Orange, is comprised of six elementary schools. Clinton, Jefferson, Seth Boyden, and Tuscan are in Maplewood, and Jefferson/Marshall and South Mountain (which also includes students from Maplewood residing near the school) are in South Orange. There are two Middle Schools – South Orange and Maplewood Middle – while the acclaimed Columbia High School serves both Maplewood and South Orange communities.
Columbia High School is known as one of the most academically progressive high schools in the state of New Jersey, and has been recognized nationally for its academic excellence with a Blue Ribbon award from the US Department of Education. Students can choose from a wide range of elective courses, including 24 AP classes, and every year Columbia High School sends alumni to top universities like Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and Yale. The extracurricular activities range from Future Business Leaders of America, a mock trial team, and an award-winning student newspaper and literary magazine to the chess club, championship athletics and music and drama. Hip-hop singer/songwriter Lauryn Hill is a former student here, but Columbia High School’s greatest claim to fame must surely be as the birthplace of Ultimate Frisbee, invented by students on the school grounds in 1968.
Maplewood Middle School puts a strong emphasis on academic excellence and social responsibility as the foundation for all educational endeavours. This philosophy obviously pays off, as around one third of 7th graders are identified by the Johns Hopkins Talent Search and invited to take the SATs, usually taken by high school juniors.
The South Orange-Maplewood Adult School, founded in 1933, is the oldest adult school in NJ and open to everyone from age 14 to 114. The inspiring program stimulates the mind, body and senses with high-quality classes covering everything from art and childcare to business studies and computer technology. Most classes are at Columbia High School or South Orange Middle School.
In the summer the school offers a highly praised children’s camp, the South Orange-Maplewood Community Summer Program.
Kinderenrichment is available to children entering the South Orange/ Maplewood School District’s kindergarten classes each fall. The program matches the school trimester dates and is intended to supplement the district’s half-day kindergarten.
There are 2 train stations servicing South Orange.
The South Orange train station, situated on South Orange Ave, is about a 25 minute commute to New York City’s Penn Station. The Midtown Direct Line of NJ Transit takes commuters straight into New York Penn Station, Newark and Hoboken. A quick change onto the PATH Rapid Transit System at Newark or Hoboken transfers you to the heart of New York’s financial center.
Trains from Mountain Station in the Montrose section of South Orange reach Newark Broad Street in under 15 minutes.
The popular jitney commuter bus runs a shuttle service between South Orange station and Montrose/Tuxedo Park, Newstead/North Wyoming and Irvington/Prospect/Academy. Applications for the jitney and parking permits can be picked up at the Village Hall on South Orange Avenue or downloaded.
By car, Routes 24 and 280, I-78, the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway are all within 5-10 minutes. Route 124- Springfield Avenue – runs though Maplewood. Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, is a 20 minute drive away.
Bus routes 92 and 107 pass between South Orange and Irvington, Newark, Newark Liberty Airport, Union City and New York (to the Port Authority Bus Terminal). Other nearby mass transport options are the Ferry , the Lakeland Bus and the Community Coach, which takes you straight to NYC or Atlantic City from nearby stops.
(Approx. 5 year waiting list) Village-NJ Transit $70/mo Village-Commuter lot (resident only) $35/mo Mountain Station $40/mo