Down the Block, Inc., is a non-profit corporation created and run by a group of Millburn/Short Hills residents that takes the notion of being a good neighbor to a whole new level. After hearing stories of families in Millburn Township who were struggling financially to a point where basic needs like food, shelter, medical care, utilities, etc. could not be met, the founding members became deeply concerned that those with short-term needs were being underserved and started an organization which provides short-term assistance to their neighbors facing unexpected financial setbacks.
Here are 5 things that you should know about Down the Block and what they do:
- Since Down the Block started in 2009, they have paid out hundreds of thousands of dollars to cover expenses for neighbors in need.
- Those being served come with a wide array of short-term needs – perhaps your spouse was laid off and your savings are nearly exhausted, perhaps your roof was damaged by a tree and your heating bill was sky high last month, perhaps you suffered an injury and you need costly therapy three times a week – there are many scenarios that Down the Block may be able to assist.
- Down the Block is the only organization that can step in to pay a bill for a Millburn Township resident experiencing unforeseen financial need.
- Down the Block takes extreme care to make sure that donations go to Township residents in need by giving each application careful review and verifying every applicant’s claim to deem it eligible. Once properly verified, the payment is given directly to the provider of the goods or services needed, which offers assurance that donations are used only to meet applicants most pressing needs. Applicant identities are strictly protected.
- The most pressing question Down the Block hears from families in economic distress is about budgeting during difficult economic times. To answer this question, Down the Block has put together a guide with information from local financial experts.
There are so many amazing non-profit organizations serving the members of our communities along the Mid-Town Direct Train Lines. It is an honor for The Sue Adler Team to feature so many of these organizations through our 100th Home Sale Charity Program. We’re humbled by the work that they do and we are proud to feature each one by providing more in-depth information about them and how they serve. The 2017 Sue Adler Team 100th Home Sale Charity Program is up and running and first round voting is well under way! We invite you to learn more about how our Team will give away $20,000 across 6 local charities upon the close of our 100th home sale of the year, and how YOU can decide which charity moves on to the final round of voting. Visit www.sueadler.com/100home to vote daily for your charity of choice, and the top 6 vote-getters will move on to the final round. To learn more about Down the Block and the amazing work that they do, please visit www.downtheblock.org/.