One Kermit Rd, Maplewood, NJ 07040Maplewood Twp.
One Kermit Rd, Maplewood, NJ 07040
- 1 Kermit Rd
- Maplewood Twp.
ew Listing for Sale! One Kermit Rd, Maplewood, NJ 07040
Call The Sue Adler Team 973-936-9129
Elegant craftsmanship abounds in this perfectly restored 7 Bedroom, 5 ½ Bath historic colonial in Maplewood’s coveted Roosevelt Estates section – one of Maplewood’s premier exclusive luxury properties that are rarely available to be seen or purchased until now! Built in 1909, this gracious family home seamlessly integrates abundant original features, designer custom cabinetry and every modern convenience imaginable. Sundrenched rooms, original woodwork, pocket doors, coffered ceiling, gorgeous period details at every turn. Large Gourmet Chef’s dream Kitchen with abundant space, custom cabinetry and top-of-the-line commercial appliances, luxury Master Suite and spa-like Bath. All new designer bathrooms throughout, quality windows, fully finished basement, bluestone patio and exquisite brickwork and meticulous landscaping on a stately lot – close to downtown South Orange and Maplewood and Midtown Direct Train, this home cannot be missed!
Welcome to One Kermit Road, a spectacular, sun-drenched and incredibly spacious family home with prime location within Roosevelt Estates. No expense has been spared in this exquisite 7 Bedroom, 5 ½ Bath home, renovated from top to bottom perfectly integrate original features with every modern amenity and overseen by acclaimed historical architect, John James, while the designer kitchen, bathrooms and custom cabinetry were designed by Kevin Huffman of KDH Homes. This one-of-a-kind quintessential Roosevelt Estates Home won’t last long with its fabulous open floor plan, exquisite craftsmanship and striking finishes throughout.
Enter and feel right at home as you are greeted by the spacious and sunlit Foyer, gorgeous entrance to the Library, Living Room and elegant open staircase. Move into the sun-drenched Living Room gracefully adorned with coffered ceiling, original leaded glass built-ins, picture window with built-in window seat and a stunning statement fireplace. Curl up with a cup of tea or a favorite book in the intimate Library glowing with natural light. Proceed into the nearby formal Dining Room with magnificent moldings, gorgeous large casement windows and plenty of space to host family gatherings and gourmet dinners. Adjacent to the Dining Room is a private, large Den or Office with afternoon sun and views of the lush backyard and direct access to the beautiful bluestone patio.
The Dining Room flows to the dream Gourmet Chef’s Kitchen with meticulously designed floor to ceiling custom wood cabinetry, oversized kitchen island with built in drawers, marble and stone countertops throughout, high-end appliances and designer pendant lighting. Storage abounds with two stand-alone custom furniture quality built-ins, ensuring that not a thing will be out of place. Take in the view of the manicured backyard in the Breakfast Area with copious windows and French Doors leading out to the Bluestone patio. Be amazed by the Family Room that flows directly from the Chef’s Kitchen. The spacious Family Room is well-suited for entertaining, family game night or movie watching. Don’t miss the enormous Mud Room, teeming with storage, and sure to be “command central” for any busy family. The Powder Room featuring mosaic tile rounds out the 1st Floor.
When it’s time to retire for the evening, the stately staircase leads you to the graceful 2nd floor landing, complete with hardwood floors and ample built-in linen storage. Luxury abounds in the private and light filled renovated Master Bedroom with generous windows and a custom built-in window seat with storage. Relax in your en-suite luxury spa inspired Master Bathroom with its oversized, massage jet bath tub or take a shower in the spacious, rain head shower. Relax as you find everything you need close to hand in the generous custom built-in double vanity with Honey Onyx countertop. Three additional large bedrooms are steeped in sunlight and include generous closets with custom adjustable shelving and large windows. A large renovated full hall bathroom rounds out the 2nd Level. The newly designed and built, spacious open 3rd floor features three additional charming and well-sized bedrooms, one with an en-suite bathroom and two with a shared Jack & Jill bathroom.
And that’s not all! The fully finished lower level features stylish wood-look tile, Recreation Room complete with custom built-in and dual refrigerator drawers, Media Room, Exercise Area, large Laundry Room with built-in cabinetry and a tastefully renovated full Bathroom. Whether its movie night or just hanging with friends, One Kermit’s lower level adds incredible entertaining space and room for all of your favorite indoor activities.
Words truly can’t describe the perfection of this home and the outstanding restoration this house has undergone. Once you see all of the tasteful and luxurious upgrades, you are sure to fall in love.
Floor by Floor Details of One Kermit Road, Maplewood
- Original wood front door with leaded glass sidelights
- Vestibule entrance with original features including leaded glass windows, hardwood floors, coat closet and wood interior door with new custom hardwood glass panels on each pane for double insulation, flush mount light fixture
- Entry Foyer featuring original hardwood floors, crown molding, baseboard molding, traditional wood staircase, built-in bench with storage, original pocket doors to Dining Room and Library, bell-jar lantern, sconce
- Library featuring hardwood floors, recessed lighting, original Craftsman pocket door, crown molding, baseboard molding
- Living Room featuring original hardwood floors, coffered ceiling, built-in cabinets with original lead glass doors, crown and baseboard molding, fireplace with brick surround (with new liner) and wood mantle, double window with window seat, recessed lighting
- Dining Room featuring original hardwood floors and molding with picture ledge, Original craftsman pocket door, designer bronze chandelier with lampshades
- Office/Den newly renovated and fully insulated featuring hardwood floors, windows to 3 exposures, French door out to bluestone patio, recessed lighting, crown molding, wainscoting, original Butler’s Pantry built-ins repurposed as built-in custom cabinetry with hardwood shelves, AV and computer wiring
- Gourmet Chef’s Kitchen featuring KDH Home Design floor to ceiling custom cabinetry with hand crafted designer beveled corners, large drawers and pullout pantry drawers, designer marble and granite countertops throughout, oversized kitchen island/breakfast bar, designer tile flooring, coffered ceiling, triple designer pendant lights over Breakfast Bar, recessed lighting, soapstone farm sink with gooseneck fixture, 2 Miele dishwashers, 2 Kitchen Aid refrigerator drawers, British, iconic AGA six burner range complete with four ovens (roasting, baking, grill, simmering) built-in Gaggenau refrigerator and freezer, Miele built-in oven, Miele built-in microwave, pot filler, custom built-in cabinetry breakfast bar with refrigerator drawers, large storage drawers with custom interior wood inserts and glass door cabinetry above, custom built bar with hardwood cabinetry including wine refrigerator, lockable lower cupboards, large glass front upper cabinets . Custom glass message board, instant hot water/filtered water faucet
- Breakfast Area featuring chandelier, double French doors out to bluestone patio, oversized triple windows overlooking professionally landscaped backyard
- Hallway between Library and Kitchen with double door, large storage cupboard with ample shelving, recessed lighting
- Powder Room designed by KDH Home Design featuring tumbled mosaic brick-style tile flooring with border, pedestal sink, glass shelf, subway tile, 3 light sconce
- Family Room featuring hardwood floors, recessed lighting, crown molding, wainscoting, large windows at 2 exposures, flush mount light fixture, AV wiring
- Mudroom featuring French doors to Family Room, custom storage unit with 6 individual cubbies with bead board detail and storage, limestone tile flooring, ample deep storage cabinets with doors, French door to bluestone walkway, skylight
- 2nd Floor landing featuring original hardwood floors, crown molding, 2 bell-jar glass lanterns, built-in floor-to-ceiling deep linen closet
- Master Bedroom featuring original hardwood floors, crown and baseboard molding, window seat with built-in storage, large his and hers closet with shelving and hanging storage, recessed lighting, pendant light
- Large designer Master Bathroom featuring arched ceiling, Italian designer travertine tile, designer oversized soaking tub with air-jets and mood lighting feature, decorative storage niche, KDH Design custom wood built-ins and vanity, honey onyx countertops with double sinks, sconces, tile shower with frameless glass door, rain shower head, separate area for toilet, large storage closet in toilet area, recessed lighting, towel warmer
- Bedroom #2 featuring original hardwood floors, flush mount light fixture, large closet with custom adjustable storage, original built-in drawers and cabinet, baseboard molding, crown molding
- Bedroom #3 (2nd Master) featuring original hardwood floors, recessed lighting, crown molding, baseboard molding, window seat with built-in storage drawers, built-in bookshelves, closet, flush mount lighting
- Bedroom #4 featuring hardwood flooring, crown molding, baseboard molding, custom built in storage and shelves, double closet with custom adjustable shelving, flush mount light fixture
- Renovated Hallway Full Bathroom featuring recessed lighting, stone basket weave floor tile, sconces, large pivot mirror, custom wood vanity with marble countertop, gooseneck fixture, shower with pebble floor tile, decorative shower niche, regular and handheld shower, Italian subway tile throughout (wainscoting, bath area and shower)
- Open stairway from 2nd to 3rd floor, custom rails to match original stairwell, opening to new 3rd floor living space
- Landing featuring hardwood floors, baseboard molding, crown molding, lantern, recessed lighting, double closet featuring renovated original re-purposed hardwood doors, custom adjustable shelving
- Bedroom #5 featuring hardwood flooring, baseboard molding, built-in shelves with brick exposed, double closet with custom adjustable shelving, flush mount light fixture
- Bedroom #6 featuring double French doors, hardwood floors, baseboard molding, closet with custom adjustable shelving, flush mount light fixture, recessed lighting
- Bedroom #7 featuring hardwood floors, recessed lighting, double closet with shelving, built-in with storage, en-suite Bathroom featuring tile flooring, custom wood vanity with stone countertop, shower over tub, tumbled mosaic tile trim, subway tile (wainscoting and in bath/shower), handheld and regular shower, sconces, pivot mirror, gooseneck fixture, decorative shower niches
- New built Jack and Jill Full Bathroom (shared access with Bedrooms #6 and #7) featuring original “daisy glass” door allowing natural light, tile flooring, custom wood vanity with stone countertop, frameless glass door shower, pebble tile flooring in shower, mosaic glass tile trim, subway tile wainscoting and in shower, handheld and regular shower, sconces, pivot mirror, built-in storage with shelving and brick exposure
- Recreation Room featuring wood-look tile flooring, sconces, recessed lighting, baseboard molding, KDH Design custom built-in refreshment bar with storage, 2 Kitchen Aid refrigerator drawers and bar sink, designer marble countertop, shelving for glass storage, designer half-moon marble counter with seating for 3
- Exercise Area featuring wood look tile flooring, custom fitted professional gym mats, recessed lighting, storage closet with French doors, AV wiring
- Media Room featuring original re-purposed hardwood pocket door, AV wiring, designer carpeting, baseboard molding, recessed lighting, 2 ample storage closets with shelving
- Full Bathroom featuring wood look tile flooring, pedestal sink, shower with subway tile, 2 light sconces
- Full-size Laundry Room featuring wood-look tile flooring, built-in cabinetry with custom counter, ample overhead storage and freestanding cabinets, utility sink, GE refrigerator
- Large Utility Room with furnace/double water heaters
- Large storage area/potential wine cellar
- Private “hidden” entrance from front of house with exterior French door
Additional Features/Upgrades – Exterior
- Over 1/3 acre of property with open aspect
- Large front, back and side yards
- Extensive perennial, front and back professional landscape design by Blizard Landscaping and former owner (NY Botanical garden horticulturalist)
- New custom brickwork and 3 bluestone patios (one adjacent to Garage, one adjacent to Kitchen through French doors and one adjacent to Den/Office through door)
- Built-in professional Lynx outdoor grill
- Driveway widened to double width with custom herringbone brick pattern
- Basketball court designed in herringbone brick at top of driveway with high end adjustable backboard on garage
- Split rail fence
- New drainage in yard going directly to municipal rain drain
- 12 zone irrigation
- Custom treehouse designed by world expert David Stiles
- Private entrance via “hidden” stone stairs down to walk-out basement
- 2 Car detached Garage with new garage doors and three remotes controlling both doors
- New roof and gutters on house and garage
- All sidewalks replaced
- Extra deep exterior French drains adjacent to house in rear of property
- Invisible pet fence
- Brick Front walkway, reset using original terracotta tiles
Additional Features/Upgrades – Interior
- Top to bottom house renovation designed and overseen by John James Architect, AIA with focus on maintaining historical integrity.
- Kitchen, Bathroom and custom cabinetry designed by Kevin Huffman of KDH Design.
- Both consulted on interior and exterior colors and finishes.
- New Kolbe windows throughout
- Floors refinished throughout
- Custom painting throughout all rooms with colors by Kevin Huffman and John James
- 20 Kw whole house generator (Weltman) with new gas lines to power generator
- Alarm System and AV wiring throughout
- All new electric and plumbing
- New HVAC, 3 A/C Units, 5 Zones
1 Kermit Rd, Maplewood, NJ 07040
Visit The Community
Columbia School District, serving Maplewood and South Orange, is comprised of six elementary schools. Clinton, Jefferson, Seth Boyden, and Tuscan are in Maplewood, and Jefferson/Marshall and South Mountain (which also includes students from Maplewood residing near the school) are in South Orange. There are two Middle Schools – South Orange and Maplewood Middle – while the acclaimed Columbia High School serves both Maplewood and South Orange communities.
Columbia High School is known as one of the most academically progressive high schools in the state of New Jersey, and has been recognized nationally for its academic excellence with a Blue Ribbon award from the US Department of Education. Students can choose from a wide range of elective courses, including 24 AP classes, and every year Columbia High School sends alumni to top universities like Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and Yale. The extracurricular activities range from Future Business Leaders of America, a mock trial team, and an award-winning student newspaper and literary magazine to the chess club, championship athletics and music and drama. Hip-hop singer/songwriter Lauryn Hill is a former student here, but Columbia High School’s greatest claim to fame must surely be as the birthplace of Ultimate Frisbee, invented by students on the school grounds in 1968.
Maplewood Middle School puts a strong emphasis on academic excellence and social responsibility as the foundation for all educational endeavours. This philosophy obviously pays off, as around one third of 7th graders are identified by the Johns Hopkins Talent Search and invited to take the SATs, usually taken by high school juniors.
The South Orange-Maplewood Adult School, founded in 1933, is the oldest adult school in NJ and open to everyone from age 14 to 114. The inspiring program stimulates the mind, body and senses with high-quality classes covering everything from art and childcare to business studies and computer technology. Most classes are at Columbia High School or South Orange Middle School.
In the summer the school offers a highly praised children’s camp, the South Orange-Maplewood Community Summer Program.
The South Orange Maplewood School District has had full day Kindergarten since 2009, which has been a huge factor for many parents in choosing a community.
The Midtown Direct Line of NJ Transit takes commuters straight into New York Penn Station, Newark and Hoboken. A quick change onto the PATH Rapid Transit System transfers you to the heart of New York’s financial center
The NJ Transit Parking Lot by Maplewood Railroad Station on Maplewood Avenue at Baker Street has limited space, but residents can sign up for the popular jitney service which runs across town to and from the station. Register online or pick up a form from the Maplewood Municipal Building in Valley Street. What’s more, a few years ago Maplewood Chamber of Commerce and NJ Transit set up a concierge service in the former smoking room of the station, which performs small tasks like ordering groceries, dropping off dry cleaning, returning rented videos, and even paying parking tickets!
By car, Routes 24 and 280, I-78, the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway are all within 5-10 minutes; plus, Route 124 – Springfield Avenue – runs though Maplewood. Newark Liberty Airport, a major continental and international gateway, is a 20 minute drive away.
Bus routes 25, 37, 70 and 107 pass between Maplewood and South Orange, Irvington, Newark, Newark Liberty Airport, Union City and New York (to the Port Authority Bus Terminal)
Other nearby mass transport options are the Ferry , the Lakeland Bus and the Community Coach which takes you straight to NYC or Atlantic City from nearby stops
1. Proof of Residency (One of the Following: Driver’s License, Auto Insurance, Homeowners Insurance, Lease Agreement, Utility Bill)
2. Valid Vehicle Registration
3. $200 per Pass Permit per Calendar Year
Maplewood is very popular for its jitney bus service to and from the train during morning and evening rush hour commuter times.
Jitney Schedule: http://maplewoodonline.com/jitney.php
Requirements for Jitney Service:
1. Proof of Residency (One of the Following: Driver’s License, Auto Insurance, Homeowners Insurance, Lease Agreement, Utility Bill)
2. $70 per Pass per Calendar Year or $7 per Book of 10 Ride Coupons
All Passes Expire December 31
Combination Parking Permit and Jitney Bus Pass is $180.
Checks payable to “Township of Maplewood.”
Applications Can Be Completed One of the Following Ways:
1. In person at the Office of the Township Clerk, 574 Valley Street between 9am-4:30pm Monday-Friday (until 7pm every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month)
2. Mail completed application, payment and copy of proof of residence to Office of the Township Clerk, 574 Valley Street, Maplewood, 07040
3. Drop off completed application, payment and copy of proof of residence to the Concierge Company at the Maplewood Train Station
There are forms for permits and passes which are available through the Township Clerk’s Office but they are not required.Payment and copies of required documentation are enough.
For further information call the Township Clerk’s Office at 973-762-8120.